How to understand this 3d surface of ##P,\bar{V}##, and ##T##?

zenterix
TL;DR Summary
There is a surface shown in the book "Physical Chemistry" by Silbey, Alberty, and Bawendy that I would like to understand better.
Here is the figure I would like to understand

1692130512100.png

First of all, I don't see a specific surface. In the middle plot, I see what looks like the innards of a solid cube that has a large piece cut off.

There is also an arrow annotated as "T=const". It is not clear what this arrow is pointing to. I though it was the shaded plane but that doesn't seem correct. So, perhaps that small line segment on the shaded plane?

Furthermore, the book says that

"the state of a pure substance is represented by a point in a Cartesian coordinate system with ##P, \bar{V}##, and ##T## plotted along the three axes. Each point on the surface of the 3D model in Fig. 1.11 described the state of a one-component system that contracts on freezing".

and that

"Projections of this surface on the ##P-\bar{V}## and ##P-T## planes are shown. There are three two-phase regions on the surface: S+G, L+G, and S+L. There three surfaces intersect at the triple point ##t## where vapor, liquid, and solid are in equilibrium".

The projection of the three-dimensional surface on the P –T plane is shown to the right of the main diagram in Fig. 1.11. The vapor pressure curve goes from the triple point t to the critical point c (see Section 1.7). The sublimation pressure curve goes from the triple point t to absolute zero. The melting curve rises from the triple point. Most substances contract on freezing, and for them the slope dP/dT for the melting line is positive.
Why is the slope dP/dT positive when substances contract on freezing?

Also, consider the following quote

"For a pure substance there is a critical point ##(P_c , T_c)## at the end of the liquid–gas coexistence curve where the properties of the gas and liquid phases become so nearly alike that they can no longer be distinguished as separate phases. Thus, ##T_c## is the highest temperature at which condensation of a gas is possible, and ##P_c## is the highest pressure at which a liquid will boil when heated."

In figure 1.11, I guess this is denoted as just ##c##. I suppose that ##P_c## and ##T_c## are different for each volume and so for each ##P_c## and ##T_c## we have an associated ##V_c##.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
zenterix said:
TL;DR Summary: There is a surface shown in the book "Physical Chemistry" by Silbey, Alberty, and Bawendy that I would like to understand better.

Here is the figure I would like to understand

View attachment 330596

First of all, I don't see a specific surface. In the middle plot, I see what looks like the innards of a solid cube that has a large piece cut off.

There is also an arrow annotated as "T=const". It is not clear what this arrow is pointing to. I though it was the shaded plane but that doesn't seem correct. So, perhaps that small line segment on the shaded plane?

Furthermore, the book says that
and that

Why is the slope dP/dT positive when substances contract on freezing?

Also, consider the following quote
In figure 1.11, I guess this is denoted as just ##c##. I suppose that ##P_c## and ##T_c## are different for each volume and so for each ##P_c## and ##T_c## we have an associated ##V_c##.
It's a "regular" substance meaning it's not like water. For water the slope of the surface showing equilibrium between solid and liquid (rectangle marked S+L) would be negative.
In this diagram you see that increasing P at constant T will change the substance from liquid to solid. For water the opposite happens.

You can look at individual slices through this diagram and you'll get the usual pV and pT diagrams (and VT if you want).
For example a slice at a constant and high value of T gives the pV diagram of an almost ideal gas.

Then you can also look at projections as shown in the figure. For example if you project along V you get the PT phase diagram. This is valid for a closed system where V is allowed to adapt freely.

In 3D the diagram shows what phase(s) the substance will have for given values of V, P and T for 1 mol (for example) of the substance.
Only values of V, P and T that lie on the shown surface are possible in a closed system though.

Actually the diagram requires more thinking than I realized.
Are things getting clearer?

And T = constant is any plane orthogonal to the T-axis. The arrow is plain confusion.

Because we have a state equation of an ideal gas, we can't be at just any ##P,\bar{V}, ## and ##T##. That is, we can only be at points that satisfy ##P\bar{V}=RT##. This is a surface in 3d.

In the 3d diagram, what is the surface exactly? Is the white part a surface? Why are some lines solid and some lines dashed in the 3d figure?

Honestly, I don't think think I've ever seen a plot that I could understand less than this one. The issue is mainly the depiction, not the underlying concepts.

However, in terms of the concepts, I don't understand the two-phase regions very well either, maybe because it is so far from everyday experience.

Take S+G, for example. In the projection on the ##P-\bar{V}## plane (where temperature is fixed) we have a region with low pressure and increasing molar volume. In this region we have solid + gas phases. Does this mean that for any combination of pressure and molar volume in this region if we leave the system it will always have solid and gas phases? Like, solid pieces on the floor of the volume and gas filling up the space?

Then, consider the pink line on the left below

1692201637010.png

If we are in S+G and we increase the pressure then eventually we get to L+G and then to just G. Why does increasing pressure make a solid go to liquid and then to gas phase?

Likes scottdave
zenterix said:
Because we have a state equation of an ideal gas, we can't be at just any ##P,\bar{V}, ## and ##T##. That is, we can only be at points that satisfy ##P\bar{V}=RT##. This is a surface in 3d.

In the 3d diagram, what is the surface exactly? Is the white part a surface? Why are some lines solid and some lines dashed in the 3d figure?

Honestly, I don't think think I've ever seen a plot that I could understand less than this one. The issue is mainly the depiction, not the underlying concepts.

However, in terms of the concepts, I don't understand the two-phase regions very well either, maybe because it is so far from everyday experience.

Take S+G, for example. In the projection on the ##P-\bar{V}## plane (where temperature is fixed) we have a region with low pressure and increasing molar volume. In this region we have solid + gas phases. Does this mean that for any combination of pressure and molar volume in this region if we leave the system it will always have solid and gas phases? Like, solid pieces on the floor of the volume and gas filling up the space?

View attachment 330627

If we are in S+G and we increase the pressure then eventually we get to L+G and then to just G. Why does increasing pressure make a solid go to liquid and then to gas phase?
To answer the questions raised above:

When we move along the pink line, temperature is not constant. For each temperature, in the P-##\bar{V}## plot we get some curve (an isothermal). If we change the temperature, we get another isothermal. Thus, in moving along the pink line we are moving to different isothermals. The only way to, e.g. increase pressure at constant ##\var{V}##, is to increase the temperature.

Here is a simplified version of the projection on the ##P-\bar{V}## plane

1692203864403.png

To get from 1 to 2, we heat a liquid at constant volume. From 2 to 3, we move along an isothermal, meaning we keep the temperature constant and we expand the volume (which lowers the pressure). If we then cool the gas at constant volume we get to 4.

This particular path from 1 to 4 is how we get from a liquid to a gas "without the appearance of an interface between the two phases". Not sure what this means though. I can see that this path avoids the two-phase equilibrium points where we have L+G, but not sure what the cited "interface between the two phases" is.

The point c is called a critical point. At this point there is no distinction between gas and liquid.

Likes scottdave and Philip Koeck
zenterix said:

Just a quick remark here. For the projection onto pV temperature is not fixed but it adapts to whatever it has to be.
In the same way volume adapts in the pT projection (the usual phase diagram).

In the pT and the pV diagram the sustance can be anywhere, but in the 3D-diagram it can only be somewhere on the surface.

zenterix said:

View attachment 330630
Here you clearly see that T is not fixed. It's different for every isotherm shown.

zenterix said:

View attachment 330627

T has to increase such that the substance stays on the surface in 3D.
Here you see that T is not fixed in the pV projection.

zenterix said:
To answer the questions raised above:

When we move along the pink line, temperature is not constant. For each temperature, in the P-##\bar{V}## plot we get some curve (an isothermal). If we change the temperature, we get another isothermal. Thus, in moving along the pink line we are moving to different isothermals. The only way to, e.g. increase pressure at constant ##\var{V}##, is to increase the temperature.

View attachment 330630

To get from 1 to 2, we heat a liquid at constant volume. From 2 to 3, we move along an isothermal, meaning we keep the temperature constant and we expand the volume (which lowers the pressure). If we then cool the gas at constant volume we get to 4.

This particular path from 1 to 4 is how we get from a liquid to a gas "without the appearance of an interface between the two phases". Not sure what this means though. I can see that this path avoids the two-phase equilibrium points where we have L+G, but not sure what the cited "interface between the two phases" is.

The point c is called a critical point. At this point there is no distinction between gas and liquid.
I think you're getting the hang of it. pVT diagrams provide you with hours of fun.

fun=madness/pulling one's hair out?

zenterix said:
Somewhere you mention "interface between phases". That's just the lines in the projections for example in the PT phase diagram.

About 2 and 3-phase situations:
They can be realized in practice, but remember that the diagrams only talk about closed systems.
For example take the triple point in the PT diagram. This becomes a straight line parallel to the V-axis in the 3D diagram.
This simply means that if you have the substance at that pressure and temperature in a container with variable volume you will generally find all 3 phases, bits of solid in the liquid and gas above that.
You can vary the volume quite a lot and the only thing that changes is the ratio of the amounts.
If you make the volume very small you'll have only solid and if you make it very big you'll have only gas.

Likes zenterix
Here’s a video that just popped up in my YouTube feed where they explain PVT diagrams:

There are some good animations in here that make it a little clearer what’s going on.

Likes scottdave, Philip Koeck and Bystander

What is the purpose of understanding the 3D surface of P, V, and T?

The purpose of understanding the 3D surface of P, V, and T is to gain a better understanding of the behavior of a gas under different conditions. This surface, also known as the phase diagram, shows the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature for a specific substance. It can be used to predict the state of a gas at different conditions and to determine the conditions at which phase transitions occur.

How is the 3D surface of P, V, and T constructed?

The 3D surface of P, V, and T is constructed by plotting the pressure, volume, and temperature values for a substance on a graph. Each point on the graph represents a specific state of the gas. By connecting these points, a surface is formed, which can then be analyzed to understand the behavior of the gas.

What factors affect the shape of the 3D surface of P, V, and T?

The shape of the 3D surface of P, V, and T is affected by several factors, including the type of gas, the intermolecular forces between gas particles, and the temperature and pressure of the system. These factors can cause the surface to have different slopes, curvatures, and shapes, which can provide insight into the behavior of the gas.

How can the 3D surface of P, V, and T be used to determine the state of a gas?

The 3D surface of P, V, and T can be used to determine the state of a gas by locating a specific point on the surface that corresponds to the given pressure, volume, and temperature values. This point will indicate the state of the gas, such as solid, liquid, or gas, and can also provide information about the behavior of the gas at that state.

What is the significance of phase transitions on the 3D surface of P, V, and T?

Phase transitions, such as melting, boiling, and condensation, are important features on the 3D surface of P, V, and T. These transitions occur at specific points on the surface, known as critical points, and can provide information about the conditions at which a substance changes from one state to another. By studying these transitions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the properties and behavior of a substance.