Simple question on W boson decay products

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an electron neutrino and an electron annihilating to form a W^- boson, which then decays into a \nu_e e^- pair. The participants also mention the rules of conservation of angular momentum, charge, baryon number, and lepton number. They also mention the concept of virtual bosons and their limitations in terms of energy/momentum conservation. Finally, they touch upon the idea of virtual bosons having off-shell spin and the potential spin flips that may occur in the reaction.
adrian52
Hi,

I'm working on an assignment in which the following reaction takes place:

[tex] \nu_e e^- \rightarrow \nu_e e^- [/tex]

And I'm wondering whether its possible to have an electron neutrino and an electron annihilate to form a [tex] W^- [/tex] boson, after which that boson decays into a [tex] \nu_e e^- [/tex] pair, satisfying the equation? From what I'm reading online it seems like W bosons only decay into electron and anti-electron neutrino pairs, but I figure as long as the lepton number is being conserved (which it is in the above reaction), I don't see any rule stating why it can't work.

My general approach is that if there is no rule saying it can't work, I assume it does (I don't have any other way to operate to be honest). As far as I know I only have to worry about conservation of angular momentum, charge, baryon number, and lepton number for the reactions we're considering (this is all undergraduate level).

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
adrian52 said:
And I'm wondering whether its possible to have an electron neutrino and an electron annihilate to form a [tex] W^- [/tex] boson, after which that boson decays into a [tex] \nu_e e^- [/tex] pair, satisfying the equation?
Sure.
It is not the only reaction mechanism, however.

From what I'm reading online it seems like W bosons only decay into electron and anti-electron neutrino pairs
That is not true, decays to quarks are possible as well. Note that your W is probably virtual, so its final states might be limited (you cannot produce something that violates energy/momentum conservation).

My general approach is that if there is no rule saying it can't work, I assume it does
That is the general idea, and it works for all processes. Just keep in mind some reactions can be extremely rare.

Likes TEFLing
Thank you, that was very helpful. As a side note let me just say I am really enjoying drawing these Feynman diagrams! :D

Also I was a bit sloppy I think I should not have written 'only', I meant to say in the context of the electron lepton only. Because of course it can decay into muons and tauons and quarks like you said

Don't you want these to be anti-neutrinos?

Likes TEFLing and mfb
You can have W only as scattering (not s-channel)...Otherwise they will either not interact at all, or they can scatter with some Z0.

mfb said:
... Note that your W is probably virtual, so its final states might be limited (you cannot produce something that violates energy/momentum conservation)...
A virtual weak boson... Represents the transmission of the forces of the weak interaction... Of the pair of particles...

And is like a virtual photon for EM ( vs. a real actual live full fledged photon existing on its own, describable by a potentially eternal wave function ) ??

adrian52 said:
Hi,

I'm working on an assignment in which the following reaction takes place:

[tex] \nu_e e^- \rightarrow \nu_e e^- [/tex]

Is this an interaction where the electron charge is transferred to the neutrino, so that the neutrino is "charged" into an electron... And the electron "discharged" into a neutrino... I.e. They swap roles ?

Or is this a scattering reaction only, where spatial momentum in xyz is transferred via the weak force?

Can virtual bosons have off shell SPIN? Would an electron which emits a virtual W boson necessarily spin flip? Would the neutrino need to spin flip to absorb the W? Or could a virtual boson have any energy momentum and angular momentum?

1. What is a W boson?

A W boson is a subatomic particle that carries the weak nuclear force. It is one of the elementary particles that make up the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does a W boson decay?

A W boson can decay into either an electron and an antineutrino, or a positron and a neutrino. This process is known as beta decay.

3. What are the decay products of a W boson?

The decay products of a W boson are an electron or a positron, and a neutrino or an antineutrino. These particles are known as the primary decay products.

4. How do scientists detect W boson decay products?

Scientists detect W boson decay products by using particle detectors, such as the ATLAS or CMS detectors at the Large Hadron Collider. These detectors can track the paths of particles and measure their energies and charges.

5. Why is studying W boson decay important?

Studying W boson decay is important because it helps us understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It also provides insight into the early stages of the universe's evolution and can help us develop new technologies and treatments for diseases.