Simple question regarding weight flow rate and specific gravity

In summary, the problem asks for the flow-rate in N/s, so you know that you are being asked to calculate the weight of oil coming out per second. (As already noted, this is a rather unusual way to express flow-rate.)
drdyke
Homework Statement
A 100 mm diameter plunger is being pushed at 60 mm/sec into a tank filled with oil having sp.gr. of 0.82. If the fluid is incompressible, how many N/s of oil is being forced out a 30-mm diameter hole?
Relevant Equations
weight flow rate = unit weight x Q

Q1 = Q2
i’m studying my textbook in hydraulics and i’d like to know the reason why specific gravity is used in one of the problems. it’s a pretty simple problem and i understood it mostly except why specific gravity is multiplied to 9810 (the unit weight of water). if the SG is given in the problem, is it always multiplied to the unit weight?

Thanks

Attachments

• 9D16A092-0839-4E2E-A6EA-CC113B2A5A55.jpeg
    9D16A092-0839-4E2E-A6EA-CC113B2A5A55.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked up what "specific gravity" means?

Ideally you would do that in the textbook, but failing that google will probably have the answer.

pasmith said:
Have you looked up what "specific gravity" means?

Ideally you would do that in the textbook, but failing that google will probably have the answer.
i do know that specific gravity is the ratio of density of fluid over density of water. what i am confused tho is why it is multiplied to the unit weight 9810 when it isn’t stated in the formula? i just want that part cleared up so i won’t be confused on future problems anymore

thanks

drdyke said:
when it isn’t stated in the formula?
What formula?

(I have to say, Newtons is a peculiar way to express a quantity of oil being exuded. Far more reasonable to express it as a mass.)

Likes hutchphd
drdyke said:
i do know that specific gravity is the ratio of density of fluid over density of water. what i am confused tho is why it is multiplied to the unit weight 9810 when it isn’t stated in the formula? i just want that part cleared up so i won’t be confused on future problems anymore

thanks

Ideally your textbook should tell you what value to use if the question does not explicitly state a value. Remember that density depends on pressure and temperature, neither of which are given in the question.

haruspex said:
What formula?

(I have to say, Newtons is a peculiar way to express a quantity of oil being exuded. Far more reasonable to express it as a mass.)

here the process became

weight flow rate = unit weight (SG) x Q

drdyke said:
what i am confused tho is why it is multiplied to the unit weight 9810 when it isn’t stated in the formula? i just want that part cleared up so i won’t be confused on future problems anymore
You are expected to be able to adapt a formula if necessary. Don’t expect a different formula for every possible slightly different variation of a problem.

The question asks for the flow-rate in N/s, so you know that you are being asked to calculate the weight of oil coming out per second. (As already noted, this is a rather unusual way to express flow-rate.)

You should be given the nominal value for the density of water (1000kg/m³) and for the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s² = 9.81 N/kg). You are expected to sort out for yourself that:

a) the density of water can be expressed as 1000*9.81 = 9810 N/m³

b) the density of oil can be expressed as 9810 x 0.82 N/m³

c) multiplying ##Q_2## (outgoing flow rate in m³/s) by 9810 x 0.82 N/m³ will give you the flow- rate in N/s as required.

Also, note that the model answer has some faults with rounding and use of significant figures. You may want to see if you can spot the faults!

drdyke said:
… where Q is the volume per unit time, and unit weight means weight per unit volume.
(volume/time)x(weight/volume)=(weight/time).
drdyke said:
…here the process became weight flow rate = unit weight (SG) x Q
SG is defined as the mass of a given volume of the substance divided by the mass of an equal volume of water.
weight of volume V of substance = (mass of volume V of substance) x g
= (mass of volume V of water) x SG x g = (weight of volume V of water) x SG
Dividing through by the volume:
weight per unit volume V of substance = (weight per unit volume V of water) x SG
i.e.
unit weight of substance = (unit weight of water) x SG

drdyke said:
weight flow rate = unit weight (SG) x Q
What if this oil tank happens to be located on the ISS, on the moon or in the engine compartment of a formula 1 race car in the middle of turn 1 using a convention that ##g## is measured relative to the race car frame.

jbriggs444 said:
What if this oil tank happens to be located on the ISS, on the moon or in the engine compartment of a formula 1 race car in the middle of turn 1 using a convention that ##g## is measured relative to the race car frame.
Agreed, but this bizarre use of weight per unit time as a measure of flow rate seems to come from the problem setter. We can but sigh.

haruspex said:
Agreed, but this bizarre use of weight per unit time as a measure of flow rate seems to come from the problem setter. We can but sigh.
I have occasionally encountered questions of this kind where the author expects an answer in outré units apparently for no other reason than to be irritating. The end result is detraction from the underlying physical principle that is showcased. Sigh indeed.

Likes hutchphd
kuruman said:
I have occasionally encountered questions of this kind where the author expects an answer in outré units apparently for no other reason than to be irritating. The end result is detraction from the underlying physical principle that is showcased. Sigh indeed.
Judging from 8.18 at , it may have arisen as a translation from pounds/s.

1. What is weight flow rate?

The weight flow rate is the measurement of the amount of mass that is transferred per unit of time. It is commonly expressed in units such as kilograms per second or pounds per hour.

2. How is weight flow rate different from volume flow rate?

Weight flow rate takes into account the mass of the substance being transferred, while volume flow rate only considers the volume. This means that substances with different densities will have different weight flow rates even if they have the same volume flow rate.

3. What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance. It is often used to compare the density of liquids and solids to that of water.

4. How is specific gravity related to weight flow rate?

Specific gravity is directly related to weight flow rate. The weight flow rate of a substance will be higher if its specific gravity is greater, as this means it has a higher density and therefore more mass is being transferred per unit of time.

5. How can weight flow rate and specific gravity be measured?

Weight flow rate can be measured using a variety of instruments such as flow meters, scales, and load cells. Specific gravity can be measured using a hydrometer or by comparing the weight of a known volume of the substance to the weight of the same volume of water.