Simple test to determine type of radioactive decay

In summary: So if you have a piece of metal that's been exposed to radiation and you put it in a strong magnetic field, you'll see a pattern of deflection in the field.Thank you for your explanation.
sonip
Hi Guys
Is there a simple test by which one could determine the type of decay a radioactive specimen is undergoing?
Thanks
sonip

Physics news on Phys.org
sonip said:
Hi Guys
Is there a simple test by which one could determine the type of decay a radioactive specimen is undergoing?
Thanks
sonip

As in ##\alpha, \beta## or ##\gamma## radiation? The easiest thing is to use a Geiger counter, and different stopping media. If the radiation stops in a couple cm of air or a bit of paper, it's ##\alpha##, ##\beta## will be stopped by a bit of aluminum, ##\gamma## won't be stopped by paper or air, but will be cut by a sheet of lead.

Likes bcrowell
thank you. But is there anyway it could be done without gieger counter or other instruments of this type.
thanks
sonip

You need something that can detect radiation. A geiger counter is one of the easiest devices - unless you want to wait for days to make film a bit darker.

I was assuming this is an unknown sample. But of you know what it is, you can just look it up. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reColor.jsp?newColor=dm

Otherwise, you do really need some kind of detector.

sonip said:
But is there anyway it could be done without gieger counter or other instruments of this type.

If you keep feeding us the conditions one line at a time it will take a long time before we have an acceptable answer. Maybe you should explain what you are looking for all at once,

Likes bcrowell
Thank you all.
My apologies for being terse in communication.
In fact I was looking for something which could be done without Geiger counter. I was of the opinion that a coutner would be required, but the question was so open-ended, I thought I should explore.
Thank you all once again.
sonip

There are other radiation detectors, but a Geiger counter is the easiest one.
Cameras can be modified to be sensitive to radiation as well, but with a lower sensitivity.

This was done long, long time ago. Obviously, you need some kind of radiation detector. But the test that was done was using magnetic field. Alpha particle are positively charged and are deflected one way. Beta particles (electrons) are negatively charged and deflected the opposite direction. Gamma rays are not deflected at all.

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom releases energy and particles to become more stable. This can result in the transformation of the atom into a different element.

How do you determine the type of radioactive decay?

The type of radioactive decay can be determined by analyzing the energy and particles released during the decay process. This can be done through various tests and experiments.

What factors can affect the type of radioactive decay?

The type of radioactive decay can be affected by the atomic structure and stability of the atom, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure.

What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. These differ in the type and energy of particles released during the decay process.

Why is it important to determine the type of radioactive decay?

Determining the type of radioactive decay is important for understanding the properties and behavior of different radioactive materials. It can also help in predicting the potential hazards and effects of radiation exposure.