Simple transistor circuit question

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with specific values for Vdd, Vtn, Kn, Rg1, Rg2, Rd, and Rs. The person is seeking help in calculating the drain current (Id), drain voltage (Vd), and source voltage (Vs), with Id being the top priority. They have also mentioned figuring out the gate voltage (Vgs) across the transistor to be 5.12077 V. A link is provided as a potential resource for solving the problem.
Mugged
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6515/circuitf.jpg
Theres the circuit i have. Vdd = 10 V, Vtn = 2 V, Kn = .22 mA/V^2, Rg1 = 1.01 Mohm, Rg2 = 1.06 Mohm, Rd = 6kOhm, Rs = 5kOhm.

Im trying to figure out how to compute the drain current Id. As well as the drain voltage Vd and the source voltage Vs, but Id is priority.

Can anyone help?

[EDIT] I have figured out the gate voltage across the transistor to be 5.12077 V, therefore putting the transistor in saturation mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mugged said:
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6515/circuitf.jpg
Theres the circuit i have. Vdd = 10 V, Vtn = 2 V, Kn = .22 mA/V^2, Rg1 = 1.01 Mohm, Rg2 = 1.06 Mohm, Rd = 6kOhm, Rs = 5kOhm.

Im trying to figure out how to compute the drain current Id. As well as the drain voltage Vd and the source voltage Vs, but Id is priority.

Can anyone help?

[EDIT] I have figured out the gate voltage across the transistor to be 5.12077 V, therefore putting the transistor in saturation mode.

Does this link help?

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee105/fa98/lectures_fall_98/091698_lecture10.pdf

You will have two simultaneous equations, I believe. The Vgs depends on the Id, which depends on Vgs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Simple transistor circuit question

1. How does a transistor work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that can amplify or switch electronic signals. It consists of three layers of material - p-type, n-type, and p-type - which form two pn junctions. By applying a small voltage to the middle layer, known as the base, the transistor can control the flow of current between the other two layers, known as the emitter and collector.

2. What is the difference between an NPN and PNP transistor?

The main difference between an NPN (Negative-Positive-Negative) and PNP (Positive-Negative-Positive) transistor is the direction of current flow. In an NPN transistor, the current flows from the collector to the emitter, while in a PNP transistor, the current flows from the emitter to the collector.

3. What is the purpose of a transistor in a circuit?

Transistors are used in circuits to amplify signals, switch electronic components on and off, and act as oscillators. They are essential in modern electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.

4. How do you calculate the gain of a transistor circuit?

The gain of a transistor circuit can be calculated by dividing the output current or voltage by the input current or voltage. This is known as the current or voltage gain, respectively. The gain of a transistor is typically expressed as a ratio or in decibels.

5. How do you choose the appropriate transistor for a circuit?

When choosing a transistor for a circuit, factors such as voltage, current, power dissipation, and frequency must be considered. It is essential to select a transistor with specifications that can handle the requirements of the circuit. Additionally, the type of transistor (NPN or PNP) and its amplification factor should also be considered.