Simple truss question I can't seem to get right

In summary, it appears that you may have neglected to account for the vertical load at C when solving for the reaction forces at the pin and roller.
nothingsus

Homework Statement

p6v4LnW.png

bRYWUNP.jpg

ignore all the other writing!

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't tell where I'm making a mistake. Probably a massive oversight somewhere but I don't know where!

First find the reaction forces at the pin and roller by treating everything as a rigid body. (I am now aware this isn't necessary since I can start at joint D since one of the equations has 1 unknown, but this method is still bugging me)

sum F_x = 0
R_Dx + R_Ax - 5000sin(15) = 0 (equation 1)

sum F_y = 0
-R_Ay - 5000cos(15) = 0
so R_Ay = -4829 N

sum Moments about point A = 0
(2*R_Dx) - (5*5000sin(15)) = 0
so R_Dx = 3235 N

so plugging R_Dx into equation 1 gives
R_Ax = -1941 Nstarting at joint D

sum F_x = 0

R_Dx + BD = 0
so BD = -R_Dx = -3235 N

but the answer says it is 12.89 kN compression!
I can't continue because everything else will be wrong.

What am I screwing up on?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothingsus said:

Homework Statement

p6v4LnW.png

bRYWUNP.jpg

ignore all the other writing!

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't tell where I'm making a mistake. Probably a massive oversight somewhere but I don't know where!

First find the reaction forces at the pin and roller by treating everything as a rigid body. (I am now aware this isn't necessary since I can start at joint D since one of the equations has 1 unknown, but this method is still bugging me)

sum F_x = 0
R_Dx + R_Ax - 5000sin(15) = 0 (equation 1)

sum F_y = 0
-R_Ay - 5000cos(15) = 0
so R_Ay = -4829 N

sum Moments about point A = 0
(2*R_Dx) - (5*5000sin(15)) = 0
so R_Dx = 3235 N

so plugging R_Dx into equation 1 gives
R_Ax = -1941 Nstarting at joint D

sum F_x = 0

R_Dx + BD = 0
so BD = -R_Dx = -3235 N

but the answer says it is 12.89 kN compression!
I can't continue because everything else will be wrong.

What am I screwing up on?
It appears you have accounted for the moments about A due to the horizontal component of the load at C.

However, additional moment at A will be created due to the vertical component of the load at C, since this component is offset horizontally from the line A-D.

SteamKing said:
It appears you have accounted for the moments about A due to the horizontal component of the load at C.

However, additional moment at A will be created due to the vertical component of the load at C, since this component is offset horizontally from the line A-D.

Dang, can't believe I missed that.

Thanks for the reply!

1. Why is it important to get the truss design right?

Getting the truss design right is crucial because trusses are an essential structural component in buildings and bridges. A poorly designed truss can result in structural failure, leading to safety hazards and costly repairs.

2. What is the most common mistake in designing a simple truss?

The most common mistake in designing a simple truss is miscalculating the forces acting on the truss members. This can result in an inadequate design that cannot withstand the expected loads, leading to structural failure.

3. How do I determine the forces acting on the truss members?

The forces acting on the truss members can be determined by using basic principles of statics, such as the method of joints and method of sections. These methods involve analyzing the external and internal forces acting on the truss to determine the forces in each member.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a simple truss?

When designing a simple truss, factors such as the expected loads, span length, and type of materials used should be considered. Other factors, such as the desired aesthetics and cost, may also influence the design.

5. Can a simple truss be designed without using complex mathematical equations?

Yes, a simple truss can be designed using basic principles of statics and a clear understanding of the forces acting on the truss members. However, for more complex truss designs, mathematical equations and computer simulations may be necessary to ensure accuracy and efficiency.