Simple Wavelength Problem (wire of fixed length vibrating)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for wavelength (wavelength = 2L/N) and how it relates to the number of antinodes in a wave. The question asks about the use of 8 antinodes, and the conversation concludes that the official answer of 16 times the length of the wire is incorrect. The correct answer is 15.36, which is determined by using 4 wavelengths on the wire.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
wavelength = 2L/N
When the question says 8 antinodes, doesn't that mean N=8? but when I do 2L/8, I get 0.24.

To get the right answer you do 2LN, but that doesn't make sense to me for I thought the equation was 2L/N??

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: wavelength = 2L/N

When the question says 8 antinodes, doesn't that mean N=8? but when I do 2L/8, I get 0.24.

To get the right answer you do 2LN, but that doesn't make sense to me for I thought the equation was 2L/N??
Are you saying the official answer is 16 times the length of the wire? Bizarre.

Likes JoeyBob
I think the answer is wrong. There are 2 anti-nodes per wave length. Since you have 8 anti-nodes, there are 4 wavelengths on the wire. Therefore the wavelength is .24m which is what you got if you add units.

Last edited:
Likes JoeyBob
haruspex said:
Are you saying the official answer is 16 times the length of the wire? Bizarre.
Yeah the correct answer is 15.36, I guess its just wrong.

JoeyBob said:
Yeah the correct answer is 15.36, I guess its just wrong.
Safe guess.

Likes JoeyBob

1. What is a simple wavelength problem?

A simple wavelength problem involves a wire of fixed length that is vibrating at a certain frequency. The goal is to calculate the wavelength of the vibration based on the given information.

2. How is wavelength related to frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

3. What is the speed of the wave in a simple wavelength problem?

The speed of the wave is determined by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, in a wire, the speed of the wave is determined by the tension and density of the wire.

4. How do you calculate the wavelength in a simple wavelength problem?

The wavelength can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by the frequency. In a simple wavelength problem, the speed of the wave can be determined by the properties of the medium, and the frequency is given in the problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple wavelength problems?

Simple wavelength problems can be applied in many fields, such as acoustics, optics, and electronics. For example, in acoustics, the wavelength of a sound wave can be calculated to determine the resonant frequency of a musical instrument. In optics, the wavelength of light can be calculated to determine the color of the light. In electronics, the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave can be calculated to determine the frequency of a radio signal.