Simple Work Energy Principle Question

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving the work done on a dinner plate being pushed along a dining table. The steps for determining the work done by the applied force, force of gravity, normal force, and kinetic friction are outlined and calculations are provided. The person also asks for clarification on whether the work done by the normal force is zero or not.
Kathy W
I think I did most of this question correctly, but I think I might be overlooking a few steps because I might have thought about it too simply.

1. A dinner plate of mass 510 g is pushed 60 cm along a dining table by a constant force of 3.0 N directed 22° below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the plate and the table’s surface is 0.44, determine the work done on the plate by
    • a) the applied force
    • b) the force of gravity
    • c) the normal force
    • d) the force of kinetic friction
Attempt at solution

a) Work of FApplied= Fdcosθ
= (3N)(0.6m)(cos22)
=1.67 J

Am I correct in assuming this was asking about the horizontal work because there was no movement in the y-plane?

b) Force of Gravity
Fgravity=mg
=(0.51)(9.8)
=4.998 N

Work gravity= Fd
= (4.998N)(0)
=0 Joules

c) **This is where I am also confused... the normal force is greater than the force of gravity do to the additional force being applied downward, does that mean that work is done in this plane or is it still 0 because there is no movement?

Fapplied y= (sin22)(3)
FAy= 1.124

FN=mg+FAy
= 4.998+1.124
= 6.122 N

W= Fd
= (6.122)(0)
= 0 Joules ***? Is this right, I'm really not sure?

d) Force of kinetic friction

Ffr= μkFN
=(0.44)(6.122)
=2.69N

Work of friction= Fdcosθ
= (2.69)(0.6)(cos180)
= -1.62 Joules

I know this is a simple question, I just want to make sure I am in the correct direction with my post, I appreciate any help immensely!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this looks like a homework question, I will ask: What makes you doubt your answer for part c)?

Yes , the work done by normal would be zero ( N ⊥ d ) .

I think the rest is fine .

1. What is the Simple Work Energy Principle?

The Simple Work Energy Principle, also known as the Work-Energy Theorem, is a fundamental concept in physics that states the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In simpler terms, it explains how energy is transferred to an object through work.

2. How is the Simple Work Energy Principle calculated?

The Simple Work Energy Principle is calculated using the formula W = ∆KE, where W is the work done on the object and ∆KE is the change in kinetic energy. Work is typically measured in joules (J) and kinetic energy in joules as well.

3. What are some real-life examples of the Simple Work Energy Principle?

Some common examples of the Simple Work Energy Principle include pushing a cart, throwing a ball, and lifting an object. In each of these scenarios, energy is transferred to the object through work, resulting in a change in its kinetic energy.

4. How does the Simple Work Energy Principle relate to other laws of physics?

The Simple Work Energy Principle is closely related to other laws of physics, such as the Law of Conservation of Energy and Newton's Laws of Motion. It can also be used to derive equations for other concepts, such as power and potential energy.

5. Why is the Simple Work Energy Principle important?

The Simple Work Energy Principle is important because it helps us understand the relationship between work and energy. It is also a fundamental principle that is used in many areas of physics, including thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism.