Simplified thermonuclear fusion and approximate lifetime of Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in an intro to General Relativity class related to the luminosity of the Sun and the number of protons required to produce one helium nucleus per second. The student presents their initial thought process and approach to the problem, but ultimately realizes that a simpler approach using the rest mass of protons and helium would result in a more accurate solution.
jayqubee

Homework Statement

This is for my intro to General Relativity class, using Hartle's text Gravity: An intro to Einstein's GR.
12.1 "How many protons must combine to make one He nuclei every second to provide the luminosity of the Sun? Estimate how long the Sun could go on at this rate before all its protons were used up."

Homework Equations

L = 3.85×1026J/s

The hint given by the professor, probably to save us from attempting to use the actual thermonuclear fusion chain:
4H → 4He

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this may be a 4-vector and CM frame problem, but the reaction equation didn't include a γ term that would represent light carrying away energy.

I decided to take an overly simple approximation heavy route, and ended up with 6.8×1045 protons fused per second and a corresponding Solar lifetime of 4160 years which is obviously ridiculous.

My method was:
75% of the sun is H therefore: 8.92×1056 H atoms available for fusion

let n = #fusions/second

nγ = L

Approximating γ as the blackbody peak of 1.41eV (from Daniel V. Schroeder's Thermal Physics)

n ≈ 1.7×1045 fusions/second = 6.8×1045 protons fused/second

Then it follows that the lifetime of the sun t, is:

t ≈ 1.31×1011 seconds ≈ 4160 yrs.

This does not seem like the approach I was supposed to take and is a ridiculous answer, but there was nothing on luminosity in the chapter as it is mostly on the Schwarzschild black hole and Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates. If I am supposed to use 4-vector methods, where do I get the released energy from given that the reaction is 4H → 4He?

Physics news on Phys.org
Approximating γ as the blackbody peak of 1.41eV (from Daniel V. Schroeder's Thermal Physics)
The sun is not radiation gamma rays from fusion.

This problem is way easier than your approaches:
Just consider the rest masses of proton and helium to calculate the energy released per fusion reaction (you can neglect the energy carried away by neutrinos).

1. How does simplified thermonuclear fusion work?

Simplified thermonuclear fusion is a process that occurs in the core of the Sun where hydrogen atoms are fused together to form helium. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light. The high temperatures and pressures in the Sun's core allow for fusion to occur, but scientists are still working to develop a way to replicate this process on Earth for energy production.

2. What is the approximate lifetime of the Sun?

The approximate lifetime of the Sun is about 10 billion years. This estimate is based on the amount of hydrogen fuel the Sun has and the rate at which it is being consumed through fusion reactions. However, as the Sun ages, it will eventually run out of fuel and begin to expand and cool, becoming a red giant. This process is estimated to occur in about 5 billion years.

3. How does the approximate lifetime of the Sun impact life on Earth?

The approximate lifetime of the Sun is a crucial factor in determining the long-term habitability of Earth. As the Sun continues to age and evolve, its increasing luminosity will cause the Earth's temperature to rise, making it difficult for life to survive. Additionally, the red giant phase of the Sun will likely engulf and destroy the Earth, rendering it uninhabitable.

4. Can scientists extend the Sun's lifetime?

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible for scientists to extend the lifetime of the Sun. Fusion reactions cannot be controlled or manipulated on the scale of a star, and the energy required to do so is beyond our current technological capabilities. However, researchers are exploring ways to harness the energy from fusion reactions for sustainable energy production on Earth.

5. Is the Sun's approximate lifetime a guarantee?

No, the Sun's approximate lifetime is not a guarantee. This estimate is based on our current understanding of stellar evolution and the Sun's behavior. However, factors such as external events (e.g. collisions with other objects) or internal variations in fusion reactions could potentially impact the Sun's lifetime.