Simplifying a fractional factorial with variables

In summary, the simplification of (n/2)!/[(n+2)/2]! can be done by setting k = (n/2)! and using the relationship between k! and (k+1)!. This results in the expression 2/(n+2) as the simplified form.
hnicholls
I am trying to work through a simplication of this factorial with variables:

(n/2)!/[(n+2)/2]!

I get,

2[n(n-1)]/2[(n+2)(n+1)n(n-1)]

cancelling the 2[n(n-1)]

leaves me with 1/[(n+2)(n+1)]

However, Wolfram Alpha tells me this can be simplified as 2/(n+2) and I don't see that.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hnicholls said:

(n/2)!/[(n+2)/2]!

I get,

2[n(n-1)]/2[(n+2)(n+1)n(n-1)]

cancelling the 2[n(n-1)]

leaves me with 1/[(n+2)(n+1)]

However, Wolfram Alpha tells me this can be simplified as 2/(n+2) and I don't see that.

Thanks

simplify by using k = (n/2)! and go from there. It falls out rather easily.

I'm not clear how a substitution of k = (n/2)! would help.

(k+1)k(k-1)(k-2) etc.

hnicholls said:
(k+1)k(k-1)(k-2) etc.
You are REALLY making all this a lot harder than it needs to be at every step of the way.

phinds said:
How much is (k+1)! ?
I guess what @phinds means is "How much is (k+1)! when k = n/2?"

phinds said:
simplify by using k = (n/2)! and go from there. It falls out rather easily.
hnicholls said:

(n/2)!/[(n+2)/2]!
Write (n+2)/ 2 = n/2 +1. So you have ##\frac {(n/2)!}{(n/2+1)!}##
How are k! and (k+1)! related?

DrClaude said:
I guess what @phinds means is "How much is (k+1)! when k = n/2?"
No, what I meant was exactly the hint that ehild made more explicit. It's irrelevant for this step that you have set K = n/2, as that has no bearing on the simplification once you've replaced n/2 with K. Sure, once you've done the simplification, you have to put n/2 back in place of K but again, that's irrelevant to the simplification.

ehild has combined my two hints. I think at this point, there just isn't any way to GIVE any further hints without just spoon feeding the answer which is what we've all been trying to avoid.

There is no such thing as ##(n/2)!## when ##n## is just an arbitrary integer. I don't care what wolfram says, the factorial is only defined for natural numbers.

micromass said:
There is no such thing as ##(n/2)!## when ##n## is just an arbitrary integer. I don't care what wolfram says, the factorial is only defined for natural numbers.
Sure, but that has no bearing on this problem. Do the simplification that I suggested and you'll see that the factorial falls out completely so your point, while true, is irrelevant to this problem. That is, the original statement DOES in fact have an invalid term, as you point out, but so what if it falls out by simplification?

phinds said:
Sure, but that has no bearing on this problem. Do the simplification that I suggested and you'll see that the factorial falls out completely so your point, while true, is irrelevant to this problem. That is, the original statement DOES in fact have an invalid term, as you point out, but so what if it falls out by simplification?

So you think it's a good thing that something invalid is equal to something valid? That's not how math works.

micromass said:
So you think it's a good thing that something invalid is equal to something valid? That's not how math works.
No, I understand what you're saying but I think this is an exercise in simplification.

(n/2)!/[(n+2)/2]!

(n/2)! = (n/2)(n/2 - 2/2) = (n/2)[(n-2)/2]

[(n+2)/2]! = [(n+2)/2][(n+2)/2 - 2/2][(n+2)/2 - 4/2] = [(n+2)/2][(n/2][(n- 2)/2]

cancel out the (n/2)[(n-2)/2] and you are left with 1/[(n+2)/2] or 2/(n+2)

Thanks DrClaude. The last point was a BIG help.

Henry

What is a fractional factorial design?

A fractional factorial design is a type of experimental design used in scientific studies that involves manipulating and controlling certain variables to observe their effects on a particular outcome. It is a reduced version of a full factorial design, where only a subset of the possible combinations of variables is tested.

Why is it important to simplify a fractional factorial design with variables?

Simplifying a fractional factorial design with variables allows researchers to reduce the number of experiments needed while still obtaining meaningful results. This saves time, resources, and effort, making the research process more efficient and cost-effective.

How do you choose which variables to include in a fractional factorial design?

The choice of variables to include in a fractional factorial design depends on the research question and the desired level of complexity. Generally, important variables that are expected to have a significant impact on the outcome should be included, while less important or negligible variables can be omitted.

What is the process of simplifying a fractional factorial design with variables?

The process of simplifying a fractional factorial design with variables involves identifying the most influential variables, reducing the number of levels for each variable, and selecting a suitable fraction of the full factorial design. This can be done using statistical software or by hand calculations.

What are the advantages of using a fractional factorial design with variables?

Using a fractional factorial design with variables offers several advantages, including reducing the number of experiments needed, allowing researchers to study the effects of multiple variables simultaneously, and identifying the most influential variables in a cost-effective and efficient manner.