Simplifying an incredibly annoying equation

• Thread starter Titandwedebil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, this person is trying to solve a trigonometry problem, but they are having difficulty. They have worked through the trigonometry identities, but they are not able to solve for the other side. They are confused as to how the other students were able to solve the problem right off the bat.
Titandwedebil

Homework Statement

Simplify: 1 + (cot2x) - (cos2x) - (cos2x)(cot2x)

Homework Equations

All reciprocal, quotient, and Pythagorean identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have spent SO much time trying to figure this out, the answer is "1" but I cannot get it! I managed to get "1 + (cot2x) - (cos2x)" equal to one but the other side is impossible! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-write as

1-cos^2 x + cot^2 x - cos^2 x cot^2 x = sin^2 x + cot^2 x (1 - cos^2 x) = sin^2 x + ...

Represent all of the trig functions in terms of sin and csc based on identities. Do you remember what cot^2(x) is equal to?

@WannabeNewton = Cot2x is Cosx2/Sinx2

I'm just confused how you guys knew that stuff right off the bat. The way that I worked up to this point was simply eliminating anything to do with tangent and going from there. How do you guys know that you're supposed to work with csc and sin as you both said?

Use cot^2(x) = csc^2(x) - 1. Sometimes its helpful to just get all of the trig functions in terms of one trig function and seeing what cancels out if you want just a constant as a result.

Titandwedebil said:
I'm just confused how you guys knew that stuff right off the bat.

What you cavalierly put as "All reciprocal, quotient, and Pythagorean identities." under Relevant equations, some of us know by heart.

In this case,
sin(x) = sin(x)
cos(x) = cos(x)
tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)

csc(x) = 1/sin(x)
sec(x) = 1/cos(x)
cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x)

and
sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1
tan2(x) + 1 = sec2(x)
1 + cot2(x) = csc2(x)

@Mark - Oh! No, I knew that most of you would know the basic identities, I was just questioning the methods that they used to get started.

I've gone through it again, and I'm still coming up short.

"Re-write as

1-cos^2 x + cot^2 x - cos^2 x cot^2 x = sin^2 x + cot^2 x (1 - cos^2 x) = sin^2 x + ..."

I turned that cot into cos/sin and tried multiplying it with "(1-cos^2 x)", which ended up not working...

This is where I ended up at...
1-(cos2 x) + (cos2x)-(cos4x)/(cos2x) - 1

These simplification problems are making me rip my hair out! :cry:

Titandwedebil said:
I've gone through it again, and I'm still coming up short.

"Re-write as

1-cos^2 x + cot^2 x - cos^2 x cot^2 x = sin^2 x + cot^2 x (1 - cos^2 x) = sin^2 x + ..."

I turned that cot into cos/sin and tried multiplying it with "(1-cos^2 x)",

No, don't do that.
[tex]1 - \cos^2 x[/tex]
simplifies to something.

Note that not only should you know the three Pythagorean identities, but also their variations. For instance,
[tex]1 + \tan^2 x = \sec^2 x[/tex]
, but if you subtract 1 from both sides,
[tex]\tan^2 x = \sec^2 x - 1[/tex]
. So if in another problem you encounter the expression "sec2x - 1," you can replace it with "tan2x."

Now figure what
[tex]1 - \cos^2 x[/tex]
simplifies to.

Related to Simplifying an incredibly annoying equation

1. How do I know when an equation is considered "incredibly annoying"?

An equation can be considered incredibly annoying if it is long, complex, and involves multiple unknown variables or operations.

2. Can I skip simplifying an annoying equation and just solve it as is?

While it is possible to solve an annoying equation without simplifying it first, it can make the process more difficult and prone to errors. Simplifying the equation can make it easier to understand and solve.

3. What are some strategies for simplifying an annoying equation?

Some strategies for simplifying an annoying equation include factoring, combining like terms, and using the distributive property. It may also be helpful to break the equation down into smaller parts and simplify each part individually.

4. How do I know if I have simplified an equation enough?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it can depend on the specific equation and its purpose. However, a good rule of thumb is to simplify the equation until it is in its simplest form and there are no common factors or terms that can be further simplified.

5. Can I use a calculator to simplify an annoying equation?

Yes, a calculator can be a helpful tool for simplifying an annoying equation. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the mathematical concepts involved in the equation in order to effectively use the calculator and check for errors.