Simplifying fractional indices

In summary, the equation is simplified by using the property that $(a)^{\frac 2 3}$ is equal to $(a^2)^{\frac 1 3}$ and the fact that $10\pi$ can be written as $((10\pi)^{\frac 3 2})^{\frac 2 3}$. This allows us to simplify the expression on the left side of the equation to $5\sqrt[3]{V^2\frac{\pi}{2}}$.
umzung
Homework Statement
How do we simplify to the given expression?
Relevant Equations
$$10π \left( \frac v {4π} \right)^{2/3} = 5\sqrt[3] {{V^2}\frac π 2}$$
$$10π \left( \frac V {4π} \right)^{2/3} = 5\sqrt[3] {{V^2}\frac π 2}$$Not sure how to deal with the $$10π$$ and how we get $$\frac π 2$$.

Physics news on Phys.org
umzung said:
$$10π \left( \frac V {4π} \right)^{2/3} = 5\sqrt[3] {{V^2}\frac π 2}$$
It took me a little while to understand what you're trying to do. At first I thought you were trying to solve the equation above. Then I realized that the goal was to simplify the expression on the left side, above.

Also, be more careful on the letters you use for variables. In your relevant equation, you have v (lower case) on one side and V (upper case) on the other. That was confusing as well.
umzung said:
Not sure how to deal with the ##10π## and how we get ##\frac π 2##.
One thing to realize is that ##(a)^{\frac 2 3}## is equal to ##(a^2)^{\frac 1 3}##. Can you start simplifying based on this hint?

I think I have it now.
The key to the answer is that $$10\pi=((10\pi)^{3/2})^{2/3}$$
which I can then bring inside the brackets.

1. What are fractional indices?

Fractional indices, also known as rational exponents, are a way of representing powers or roots of numbers that are not whole numbers. They are written in the form of a fraction, with the numerator representing the power and the denominator representing the root.

2. How do you simplify fractional indices?

To simplify a fractional index, you can use the following rules:

• If the denominator is 1, the index is the same as the numerator.
  • If the numerator is 1, the index is the same as the denominator.
  • If the numerator and denominator have a common factor, you can divide both by that factor.
  • If the denominator is even, you can rewrite the index as a root and simplify.
  • If the denominator is odd, you can rewrite the index as a power and simplify.

3. Can you give an example of simplifying a fractional index?

Sure, for example, if we have the fractional index 27^(2/3), we can rewrite it as the cube root of 27 squared. The cube root of 27 is 3, so the simplified form is 3^2, which equals 9.

4. What are some common mistakes when simplifying fractional indices?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to simplify the fraction before applying the rules, mixing up the numerator and denominator, and not recognizing when the index can be rewritten as a power or root.

5. How are fractional indices used in real life?

Fractional indices are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are also used in finance and economics to calculate compound interest and growth rates. In everyday life, fractional indices can be used to solve mathematical problems and simplify complex calculations.