Simplifying radicals - Help with basic number manipulation

In summary, the correct answer is that you move the /sqrt7 to the sqrt21 to end up with sqrt6 * sqrt3 = 2sqrt3.
Comscistudent
Hi I'm trying to give myself a refresher in Leaving Cert maths and I'm running through some problems. Here's one which has me stumped (sorry I can't figure out how to show the actual symbols on the post, it's just showing as raw LaTEX when I try )

Combine terms and simplify the expression of -

(sqrt6/sqrt7) * sqrt21

The actual answer is that you move the /sqrt7 to the sqrt21 to end up with sqrt6 * sqrt3 = 2sqrt3

I missed this and instead multiplied the right hand term by sqrt7/sqrt7 but my answer is different. Can someone explain why my logic is incorrect?

(sqrt6/sqrt7) * ( (sqrt21*sqrt7)/sqrt7 )
sqrt6/sqrt7 * sqrt147/sqrt7
sqrt882/sqrt7
3sqrt14

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi TubeAlloy and welcome to MHB! :D

$$\dfrac{\sqrt6}{\sqrt7}\cdot\sqrt{21}=\sqrt{18}=3\sqrt2$$

TubeAlloy said:
sqrt882/sqrt7
3sqrt14

Your logic is fine but you've made an error in your calculation. Can you spot it?

Quote this post to see how I coded the $\LaTeX$.

Oh wow I feel so silly, thanks a million for the help once I knew I wasn't doing something wrong I was able to spot the error.

$$\dfrac{\sqrt6}{\sqrt7}\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt147}{\sqrt7}$$

This is $$\dfrac{\sqrt882}{\sqrt49}$$ not $$\dfrac{\sqrt882}{\sqrt7}$$ as I had thought

So then it's $$\sqrt18$$ == $$3\sqrt2$$

Good work!

To get all of the numbers in a radical under the square root sign use \sqrt{123}. Note the curly braces. :)

TubeAlloy said:
Combine terms and simplify the expression: [tex]\frac{\sqrt{6}}{\sqrt{7}}\cdot\sqrt{21}[/tex]

The actual answer is that you move the /sqrt7 to the sqrt21 to end up with sqrt6 * sqrt3 = 2sqrt3

I missed this and instead multiplied the right hand term by sqrt7/sqrt7 . Why?
but my answer is different. Can someone explain why my logic is incorrect?

sqrt882/sqrt7
3sqrt14

Did some teacher tell you, "To simplify radicals,
introduce more radicals into the expression" ?

Here is the recommended way to simplify it:

. . [tex]\begin{array}{ccc}
\dfrac{\sqrt{6}}{\sqrt{7}}\cdot\sqrt{21} &=& \sqrt{6}\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt{21}}{\sqrt{7}} \\
&= & \sqrt{6}\cdot\sqrt{\dfrac{21}{7}} \\
& = & \sqrt6\cdot\sqrt{3} \\
& = & \sqrt{18} \\
&=& \sqrt{9\cdot2} \\
&=& \sqrt{9}\cdot\sqrt{2} \\
&=& 3\sqrt{2} \end{array}[/tex]

soroban has made an excellent point: the simpler the better! It's good to see experimentation with other methods though, and I think it's good that the error was spotted. Sometimes the simpler approach is not always realized so it's a good thing to be able to adapt one's skill set to the problem at hand. But at the end of the day, I think striving for simplicity is the best approach.

1. How do I simplify radicals?

To simplify a radical, you need to find the factors of the number inside the radical and determine if there are any perfect squares. Then, you can rewrite the radical as the square root of the perfect square multiplied by any remaining numbers outside the radical. Finally, you can simplify the square root of the perfect square to get your final answer.

2. What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it can be written as 3 x 3. Perfect squares are important in simplifying radicals because they can be taken out of the radical and simplified.

3. Can I simplify a radical with variables?

Yes, you can simplify radicals with variables just like you would with numbers. First, you need to look for any perfect squares within the radical that can be simplified. Then, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the variables inside the radical. If there are any remaining variables outside the radical, you can leave them as is.

4. How do I know if a radical is already simplified?

A radical is considered simplified when the number inside the radical has no perfect square factors. In other words, the number cannot be divided evenly by any number that is a perfect square. Also, there should be no fractions or decimals inside the radical.

5. Can I simplify a radical with a negative number inside?

No, you cannot simplify a radical with a negative number inside. This is because the square root of a negative number is not a real number. However, if the negative number is inside a larger expression, you can simplify the other parts of the expression first and then address the negative number.