Simulated voltage gain in Multisim differs very much from calculated

• Thread starter georgefrenk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
georgefrenk
I am using Multisim software and I am comparing my calculated voltage gain with the one, done by Multisim.

Why is calculated Av ( -478.8 mV) much different from the one in simulation ( -990 mV) ?
I see the calculated is approx. half size of simulated.

I tried using virtual transistor instead of 2N2222A, but Ic and voltage gain inside Multisim stays almost the same.
And tried also moving PR2 voltage probe directly on 4 V power source.Ic is seen as measured on schematic
Rc is seen on schematic
Vt is default 25 mV at room temparature
gm represents transconductancegm = Ic / Vt = Ic / 25 mV
gm = 1.71 mA / 25 mV
gm = (0.0684 / 1000) S (Siemens)
gm = 0.0000684 S (Siemens)

Av = Rc * -gm
Av = 7000 ohm * -0.0000684 S
Av = -0.4788 V (volts)
Av = -478.8 mV
multisim_problem_v2.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The gain of that your circuit will be highly dependent on the current gain assumed for the 2N2222A. What value of beta is being used ?

Where does that circuit come from ?
Will it be compared to another, more predictable circuit ?

I tried different beta values, like 50, 100, 200, 300 via transistor parameter BF (Ideal maximum forward beta).
But it doesn't change the results. I am using equations for common emitter amplifier from newly released book Electronic Circuits Fundamentals with MathCad Examples (author A-Imam Al-Sammak).

I would suggest substituting a simple T-model for the transistor with parameters you can directly set. Do the analysis on paper and compare with the simulator's answers. If that all makes sense then move up in model complexity. This will separate the nature of the problem you have, i.e. simulator problems, your basic understanding of the circuit, BJT model issues, etc.

A few things caught my attention:
1) Multisim shows the Collector voltage as -1.01V, pretty good trick with only Positive supplies
2) I calculate the Base current somewhere between 60mA and 66mA

What would you expect the Collector current to be with 60mA base current? Is that current possible with the Vcc supply and the load resistor?
How does the calculated Collector current compare to the maximum rating of the transistor?

Me thinks that circuit got Multisim very confused! :eek:

Cheers,
Tom

georgefrenk said:
But it doesn't change the results.
Base bias current is ( 4V - 0.7V ) / 50R = 3.3 / 50 = 66. mA ;
Multiply by beta (assumed 100), gives Ic = 6.6 amp ;
That transistor, ( with Rc = 7k ), is saturated.

I think you have your resistor values swapped.
R1 is 50R, maybe it should be 7k.
Rc is 7K, maybe it should be 50R .

Then Ib = 3.3V / 7k = 470. uA ;
470 uA * (Beta=100) = 47 mA ;
Rc = 50R ; Vrc = 2.36V, which is less than 12V, so BJT is in the linear range.

Now the BJT is biased, you can evaluate the AC gain.
I believe this is part of a lesson, in how NOT to design an amplifier.

Likes DaveE
This is about as predictable of a circuit as you can get with a 2N2222. Even the most horrible beta will put the collector voltage next thing to zero. However, it won't go negative. So much for my faith in that software. It is an amplifier, just not a linear one. I don't think there ever was a claim that it was.

Tom.G said:
Multisim shows the Collector voltage as -1.01V, pretty good trick with only Positive supplies
Not if your reference is the base voltage, which is what that Microsim widow is telling you. BJT collectors in saturation can absolutely be below the base voltage when driven hard into saturation.

Tom.G said:
What would you expect the Collector current to be with 60mA base current?
For this circuit? Saturated. It has little to do with the amount of base current, you know, once you have way too much.

Tom.G said:
Me thinks that circuit got Multisim very confused!
This isn't Multisim's first rodeo. Your best first guess is that the simulator is doing exactly what you asked it to do.

BJT amplifiers normally have separate functional bits in the schematic for DC bias and the AC signal. You have biased this device into saturation and it's no longer an amplifier.

Maybe you should try something like this:
1703486161454.png
Oops! Mistook your reply for the OP. You don't need to try this, LOL!

1703487145989.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G
Where was it established in this thread that the op wanted an amplifier that behaves like a voltage divider based amp with a stable Q point?
-
The circuit was posted, the results that the simulation gave were questioned, that's it. I missed the part about the reference being base voltage. Makes sense now. If the op struggles understanding the circuit in the first post I can't see how we can expect everything to make sense throwing a voltage divider based amp at them.

Likes DaveE

1. Why does the simulated voltage gain in Multisim differ from the calculated gain?

The discrepancy between simulated voltage gain in Multisim and calculated gain often occurs due to several factors including the non-ideal behavior of components used in the simulation, such as real operational amplifiers having finite bandwidth, input bias currents, and non-zero output impedance. Additionally, parasitic elements like capacitance and inductance that are not considered in ideal calculations can affect the simulation results.

2. How can I improve the accuracy of my voltage gain simulation in Multisim?

To improve the accuracy of your simulations, ensure that the component models used closely match the actual characteristics of the physical components. Check and adjust the model parameters of the components like op-amps, resistors, and capacitors in Multisim to better reflect their real-world counterparts. Also, consider the effect of the PCB layout, such as trace resistance and capacitance, which can be significant in high-frequency circuits.

3. What should I check if my Multisim simulation results are unexpectedly different from my calculations?

First, verify that all the component values in the simulation match those in your calculations. Check for any unintentional wiring or connection errors in the simulation. Review the settings and configurations in Multisim, such as the operating temperature and supply voltages, to ensure they align with your theoretical assumptions. Additionally, consider whether all relevant real-world effects, like temperature coefficients and tolerance values, have been included in your model.

4. Are there specific components in Multisim known to cause large discrepancies in voltage gain simulations?

Operational amplifiers (op-amps) in Multisim can often lead to significant discrepancies if not accurately modeled. The default op-amp models might not accurately reflect the slew rate, bandwidth, or input and output impedances which are critical for predicting accurate voltage gains in certain applications. Similarly, passive components like capacitors and inductors with non-ideal characteristics such as leakage, equivalent series resistance (ESR), and equivalent series inductance (ESL) can also impact the simulation results.

5. How can I use Multisim's tools to better predict real-world circuit behavior?

Utilize Multisim's analysis tools like AC Analysis, Transient Analysis, and Monte Carlo Analysis to study how your circuit behaves under different conditions. AC Analysis can help you understand frequency response, Transient Analysis provides insight into circuit behavior over time, and Monte Carlo Analysis helps in assessing the impact of component tolerances and variability on your circuit's performance. These tools can provide a more comprehensive understanding and help bridge the gap between theoretical calculations and simulation results.