Simulating a simple analog computer?

In summary, the speaker is looking for an example of a simple virtual analog computer that is open source. They have found some complex simulators, but those seem like overkill for their needs. They provide some links for potential ideas and mention that MATLAB has a tool called SIMULINK for analog computer simulation. They thank Tom for the suggestion of using a spreadsheet and express interest in understanding how these simulators work internally and how they scale to larger networks.
maly
Hi, anyone into analog computing? I was wondering if there is an example of a simple virtual analog computer somewhere (open source), I can't seem to find one. I'm interested in basic principles of advancing the state of the network, as you must do on a digital computer. I found some complex simulators (SPICE and variants), but that seems like an overkill for my needs - just basic ideal adders, multipliers, integrators, delays and maybe a few others.

Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks, Tom, the spreadsheat computer looks useful because they show a bit of code. I'm specifically interested in how these simulators work internally (that is why the preference for open source). On a mechanical or electronic analog computer, all processes happen simultaneously, but then on a digital computer we have to simulate this by having state A, and then advancing to a state B by applying a small timestep, and it seems to matter if we go around the network advancing the state of every element in sequence, or if we store the complete state and then advance every element given only the previous states. I'm a bit confused how this works, and how well it scales to larger networks.

1. What is a simple analog computer?

A simple analog computer is a type of computer that uses physical quantities, such as voltage or current, to represent and manipulate data instead of using digital signals. This type of computer is often used for solving mathematical equations and simulating real-world systems.

2. How does a simple analog computer work?

A simple analog computer works by using a series of interconnected electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and operational amplifiers, to create a circuit that can perform mathematical operations. The input values are represented by varying voltages or currents, and the output is a continuous signal that represents the solution to the problem.

3. What are the advantages of simulating a simple analog computer?

Simulating a simple analog computer allows for a better understanding of complex systems and their behavior. It also allows for real-time experimentation and analysis, as well as the ability to quickly make changes to the system and see their effects. Additionally, analog computers are often less expensive and more energy-efficient than digital computers.

4. What types of problems can be solved using a simple analog computer?

A simple analog computer can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems, such as differential equations, integral equations, and systems of linear equations. It is also commonly used for simulating physical systems, such as electronic circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions.

5. How accurate are the results of a simulation using a simple analog computer?

The accuracy of the results from a simulation using a simple analog computer depends on the design of the circuit and the precision of the electronic components. With careful design and calibration, analog computers can provide highly accurate results. However, they are not as precise as digital computers and may introduce some errors due to imperfections in the components or external interference.