Simulation from a process given by "complicated" SDE

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of a path from a stochastic differential equation and the need to find its distribution in order to design a simulation scheme. The SDE in question is the Cox-Ingersoll-Ross model, commonly used for interest rates. A Log Euler scheme for this process is also mentioned as a possible method for constructing a simulation. The recommended approach is to start with the initial value and generate a set of standard normal pseudo-random numbers, then apply the SDE multiple times with different time steps and random sequences. This process can be repeated multiple times to simulate different paths.
econmajor
Actually this is more of a simulation question but since PF doesn't have Simulation category I ask here.
I need to simulate a path from a proces given by this Stochastic DE:
$$ dX_t = -a(X_t-1)dt+b\sqrt{X_t}dB_t $$ where ##B_t## is wiener process/brownian motion and a and b are just some constants. In order to design a simulation scheme to this process I need to find it's distribution. Please help me find the distribution. I don't know whether this is advanced or Intermediate?

Physics news on Phys.org
The SDE is that of the Cox-Ingersoll-Ross model that is used for processes like interest rates. If you look up the wiki page on that model you'll find information about the distribution of a future value ##X_t##.

How will a Log Euler scheme for this process look like? I still haven't a proper way to construct a simulation.

To simulate a random sequence of projected values of ##X_t## over a period ##[0,T]## with time steps of length ##dt\triangleq T/n##, you just start with the initial value ##X_0##, generate a set of ##n## independent standard normal pseudo-random numbers ##Z_1,...,Z_n## then apply the above equation ##n## times for ##j=1## to ##n##, with ##t=t_j## taking the value ##(j-1)dt## and ##dW_{t_j} = Z_j \sqrt{dt}##.

Repeat ##m## times, where ##m## is the number of simulated paths you want, using a different random sequence of ##Z_j## each time.

Likes econmajor

1. What is an SDE?

An SDE, or stochastic differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a system evolves over time in the presence of random noise. It combines elements of ordinary differential equations and probability theory to model complex systems.

2. How does an SDE differ from a regular differential equation?

An SDE accounts for the influence of random noise or uncertainty in a system, whereas a regular differential equation assumes a deterministic system with no randomness. This makes SDEs more suitable for modeling real-world situations where there are unpredictable factors at play.

3. What is meant by "simulation from a process given by a complicated SDE"?

This refers to using numerical methods to generate a sequence of random values that follow the same dynamics as a system described by a complex SDE. By simulating the process, we can gain insight into how the system behaves and make predictions about its future behavior.

4. What are some common methods for simulating SDEs?

Some common methods include the Euler-Maruyama method, the Milstein method, and the Runge-Kutta method. These methods use iterative calculations to approximate the solution to the SDE over a discrete time interval. There are also more advanced techniques such as Monte Carlo simulations and stochastic differential equations with jumps.

5. What are the practical applications of simulating SDEs?

SDEs are used in a wide range of fields, including finance, physics, biology, and engineering. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems such as stock prices, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and more. Simulations from SDEs can also be used for risk assessment, forecasting, and decision-making in various industries.