Simultaneity (Special Relativity)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about relativity and the solution involves using Lorentz transformations and Minkowski diagrams. Two equations are also shared for finding the velocity of an inertial frame where two events happen at the same time or in the same place. Ultimately, the solution to the question is -c/2.
rpardo
Hi guys,

I'm studying for a midterm and i decided to do some problems for practice and I'm stuck on a fairly simple one

"The space and time coordinates of two events as measured in a frame S are as follows:
Event 1 (x,0,0) @ t=x/c
Event 2 (2x,0,0) @ t=x/2c

There exists a frame in which these events occur at the same time. Fin d the velocity of this frame with respect to S."

The solution is -c/2

For my solution I set event 1 as S and event 2 as S'
For them to be simultaneous I also set t=t'
I equated the L.E transformations and my solution is -c/6

Any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S I also tried drawing a Minkowskian diagram and figuring out the slope of the time-constant line (linking the two-event points) however this gives me the x'-axis equation and not the t'-axis equation which is what i would need to figure out the velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I hope this isn't too late. By the way, you might get more of a response if you post a relativity question in the "special and general relativity" forum. Thinking in terms of a Lorentz transformation:

[tex]t'=\gamma\left ( \frac{x}{c}-\frac{x}{c}\frac{v}{c}\right )=\gamma\left ( \frac{x}{2c}-\frac{2x}{c}\frac{v}{c} \right )[/tex]

[tex]x-x\frac{v}{c}=\frac{x}{2}-2x\frac{v}{c}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x}{2}=-x\frac{v}{c}[/tex]

[tex]v=-\frac{c}{2}.[/tex]

We can also do it the other way you suggested, but have to be careful as the convention is to measure time on the vertical axis of a Minkowski diagram, which differs from the usual convention in elementary physics and calculus books. If you turn the diagram on it's side, with x increasing in the vertical direction, the slope of the line through the two events is

[tex]\frac{2x-x}{\frac{x}{2c}-\frac{x}{c}}=-2c.[/tex]

(Negative because the t axis is now increasing to the left.) The slope is more than c because it's a spacelike line; in other words, it isn't possible for an object to be present at both events. The slope representing the world line of an object in whose rest frame these events are simultaneous will be the inverse of this, except that we don't invert c because c is the scale factor expressing the difference in scale between the x and t axes, and we only want to invert the slope of the line, not interchange the scales of the x and t axes. So the velocity of the frame where the two events have the same time coordinate is

[tex]-\frac{c}{2}.[/itex]

here are two equations also maybe to memorize cause they are very simple:
for the same position, use:

$\frac{v}{c}=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta ct}$

for the same time:
$\frac{v}{c}=\frac{\Delta ct}{\Delta x}$

and insert your space time intervals, this gets you your answer I think. :smile:

jfy4 said:
here are two equations also maybe to memorize cause they are very simple:
for the same position, use:

[tex]\frac{v}{c}=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta ct}[/tex]

for the same time:

[tex]\frac{v}{c}=\frac{\Delta ct}{\Delta x}[/tex]

and insert your space time intervals, this gets you your answer I think. :smile:

Together, your equations imply that [itex]v=c[/itex]. This can't be the case here because the question asked for the speed of a (from the context I assume inertial) reference frame, relative to another.

no, when you use the "same time" formula, you get (-x/2)/x=v/c, which is the answer, v=-c/2

im not sure how else to tell you this..., tell me how v=c?, they are for two different situations, you can't use them together...

Oh, I see, sorry. Just me being dense ;-)

I mistook your "for the same time" as meaning that these equations were simultaneous equations, both true:

[tex]\frac{v}{c}=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta ct}=\frac{\Delta ct}{\Delta x}.[/tex]

Multiplying by [itex]\Delta x \cdot \Delta ct[/itex], the equality on the right becomes

[tex]\left(\Delta x\right)^2=\left(\Delta ct\right)^2[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \Delta x=\Delta ct.[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{v}{c}=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta ct}=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta x}=1.[/tex]

Therefore [itex]v=c[/itex]. But I see now that isn't what you had in mind. You meant that we can use the second of the equations you gave to work out the velocity of an inertial frame where the two events happen at the same time, in this case:

[tex]\frac{\Delta ct}{\Delta x} = -\frac{1}{2} = \frac{v}{c},[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta ct[/itex] is the difference in time between the two events, and [itex]\Delta x[/itex] the spatial separation between them.

And your first equation was for solving a different problem: finding the velocity of an inertial frame where two events happen in the same place.

Last edited:
yes, sorry for being unclear.

That's okay. I'd just been working on an epic vector algebra problem that must have caused my brain to go on strike...

Related to Simultaneity (Special Relativity)

What is simultaneity in Special Relativity?

Simultaneity in Special Relativity refers to the concept that two events happening at different locations can occur at the same time according to one observer, but at different times for another observer. This is due to the relativity of time and the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

How does Special Relativity explain simultaneity?

Special Relativity explains simultaneity through the idea that space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the perception of simultaneity can be different for two observers depending on their relative motion and position in space.

What is the thought experiment used to illustrate simultaneity in Special Relativity?

The thought experiment commonly used to illustrate simultaneity in Special Relativity is the "train and platform" experiment. In this experiment, two observers on a train passing by a platform see a lightning strike at the same time, while an observer on the platform sees the lightning strike at different times due to the distance between them and the speed of light.

How does the concept of simultaneity impact our understanding of time and space?

The concept of simultaneity in Special Relativity challenges our traditional understanding of time and space as absolute and fixed. It suggests that time and space are relative and can vary based on the observer's frame of reference. This has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how we measure and perceive time and distance.

Are there any real-world applications of the concept of simultaneity in Special Relativity?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of simultaneity in Special Relativity. For example, GPS systems use the principles of Special Relativity to accurately measure time and distance for navigation. Additionally, the study of simultaneity has advanced our understanding of the universe and has been applied in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.