Sin contest- Projectile motion

In summary, in order to find the distance the ball travels beyond the fence, we can use the ballistic equations and substitute the given values to solve for the horizontal velocity (Vx) and the time (t) it takes for the ball to reach the fence. Then, we can use the equation for maximum range to calculate the distance the ball travels beyond the fence. Using this method, we can determine that the ball will travel 6 meters beyond the fence.
shane99a
A kid is 5 m from a fence that is 4 m high. He throws a ball at 45° from the horizontal which just grazes the fence. How far beyond the fence does the ball land? You may assume that the ball was thrown from the same level as the ground on the far side of the fence.

Here's how i did it and its probably wrong so i need help:
Vi = 0
θ = 45°
Vf = ?

0.5mv2 = mgh
v = √(2gh)
v = √(19.6*4)
Vf = 8.85 m/s

Vy = 8.85sin45 = 6.26 m/s = Vx

Dy = Vyt - 0.5at2
0 = 6.26t - 4.9t2
t = 1.28s

D = Vxt
D = (6.26)(1.28) = 11 m
Therefore the answer is (11 - 5) 6 m which is the distance the ball traveled beyond the fence.
It looks correct except for the height which I don't know if picking 4 was the right idea and would screw up my entire answer, so please someone help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial velocity is not 0 m/s since he originally threw the ball. Also, I wouldn't recommend using conservation of energy for this problem. I recommend using the ballistic equations. For example, there is no reason that your final velocity will be at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal.

Hi shane99a, welcome to PF.
Your calculation of v is wrong. It is not the velocity of the projection of the ball.
It is true only if 4 m is the maximum height. But in the problem it is not mentioned.
So you have to use the equation
Dy = vy*t - 1/2*g*t^2...(1)
Substitute t = x/vx and solve for vx. In the given problem x is given.
To find maximum range, put Dy = 0 in eq.(1) and solve for x.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion related to sin contest?

The sin contest in projectile motion involves calculating the angle at which a projectile must be launched in order to achieve a certain distance or height. The sin function is used in these calculations to find the optimal angle.

3. What is the importance of understanding projectile motion in scientific research?

Projectile motion is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various fields of scientific research, such as ballistics, aerospace engineering, and sports science. Understanding projectile motion allows for the prediction and analysis of the trajectory of objects in motion.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This can be taken into account in calculations by using the drag coefficient, which is dependent on the shape and size of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some common examples of projectile motion in daily life include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, and kicking a soccer ball. In addition, the motion of objects launched from a catapult or a cannon can also be described by projectile motion.