Single actuator Wiper design to wipe a surface area

In summary, the problem is to move the wiper left and right+move the wiper platform up and down using a crank-rocker linkage mechanism. The reference used was study linkages, especially crank-rocker 4-bar linkages.
Brlala
RBX3iny.png

I'm given this problem to solve with the assumption as stated above. The answers need not be logical as long as the linkage mechanism can be simulated. I've attempted the question using Mercedes Mono Wiper mechanism but only manage to cover 41% given the width of the wiper. May I ask if there are any ideas or reference for me to look into to cover as much of the area as possible while satisfying all the criteria?

Area of parallelogram surface area=1,600,000 mm2
Area of covered area assume swiping half circle=663,747 mm2

Reference used:

Engineering news on Phys.org
jack action said:
Study linkages, especially crank-rocker 4-bar linkages.
Thank you for pointing towards the direction. I'm currently looking into the linkage mechanism in the link given and will post back once I figure the connection out. :smile:

jack action said:
Study linkages, especially crank-rocker 4-bar linkages.

I broke down the question into 2 parts which is moving the wiper platform left and right+moving the wiper platform up and down. So like a bouncing DVD logo we see on TV, eventually it will travel through all possible locations on the screen.
62q6bdT.png

To move the wiper left and right

1. The actuator will produce a rotation motion along x axis.
2. The rotating Traverse Roll will move the platform left and right.
Reference:

Now we need to move the wiper up and down.

3. Using the Whitworth quick return mechanism to produce a left to right movement.
5jRT1cl.png

4. The left right movement produced will operate and move the wiper attached to the scissors table up and down.
mOPsdcA.png

I've made a crude sketch of what I have came up with. However I have a problem linking the rotating circle to the actuator.
Things I considered are
1) belt (not possible because the platform is moving from left to right constantly)
2) rack and pinion (the movements of the wiper is constant this way and will not be able to cover the whole wiper surface.)
My concept of this would be to operate like a bouncing ball in a box. Eventually the ball will cover all the possible spots on the screen.

Need help connecting from the actuator to making the circle on a left right moving platform rotate. Thank you

1. What is a single actuator wiper design?

A single actuator wiper design is a type of wiper system that uses only one motor or actuator to move the wiper blade across a surface. This design is often used in automotive windshield wipers.

2. What are the benefits of a single actuator wiper design?

The main benefit of a single actuator wiper design is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. Using only one motor reduces the complexity of the wiper system and makes it easier to maintain. It also takes up less space and can be more lightweight.

3. How does a single actuator wiper design work?

In a single actuator wiper design, the motor or actuator is connected to a linkage that moves the wiper blade back and forth across the surface. The linkage can be designed in different ways, but the overall mechanism is the same. The motor is controlled by a switch or sensor to determine the speed and direction of the wiper blade.

4. Can a single actuator wiper design be used for different surface areas?

Yes, a single actuator wiper design can be adapted for different surface areas by adjusting the length and angle of the wiper blade and the movement of the motor. However, it may not be as efficient for larger surface areas compared to a dual actuator design.

5. Are there any limitations to a single actuator wiper design?

One limitation of a single actuator wiper design is that it may not be as effective in clearing heavy or stubborn debris on the surface. It also may not have as much flexibility in terms of wiper blade movement compared to a dual actuator design. Additionally, if the motor or actuator fails, the entire wiper system will stop working.

Back