Single chart which covers entire [itex]S^1\times R[/itex] manifold

• Thread starter Ravi Mohan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, according to Carroll, charts are necessary because many manifolds cannot be covered with a single coordinate system. A single chart can cover the entire manifold, but this is not always the case.
Ravi Mohan said:
Thanks for explaining that. Now regarding my second question
yes. whenever one says Rn one means the usual topology.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok that is great. I think I have got the answers to my satisfaction here.

DrGreg said:
If ##\theta## was a member of the real line ##\mathbb{R}##, your objection would be valid. But it's not, it's a member of ##S^1##, "real numbers mod 2##\pi##", so "##\theta = 0##" and "##\theta = 2 \pi##" are two descriptions of the same point in ##S^1##, and of the same point in ##\mathbb{R}^2## under stevendaryl's mapping (for a given ##z##).

Ah, got it.

Cruz Martinez said:
I think you're repeating some of the misconceptions you had on a previous thread here.

Not sure what previous thread you're referring to (possibly you have confused me with another poster?), but see my response to DrGreg.

Cruz Martinez said:
All manifolds are closed

Doesn't a closed manifold have to be compact? Not all manifolds are compact.

PeterDonis said:
Doesn't a closed manifold have to be compact? .

Yes. And it doesn't have a boundary.

a closed manifold can not be covered by a single chart since no open subset of Rn is compact, So the circle can not be covered by a single chart - nor can a sphere or a doughnut.

- a manifold might not be closed even as a metric space, for instance Rn minus a point.

lavinia said:
a closed manifold can not be covered by a single chart since no open subset of Rn is compact, So the circle can not be covered by a single chart - nor can a sphere or a doughnut.

- a manifold my not be closed even as a metric space.

Which is exctly why i asked in which sense he means closed this time, because last time i saw he used it in a very different (wrong) way. With this of course i agree that the sphere cannot be covered by one chart since homeos preserve compactness as all continuous maps do.

Cruz Martinez said:
In which sense do you mean closed?

In the sense of a closed manifold. In the previous thread you linked to, it was pointed out (and I agreed once it was pointed out) that, topologically speaking, the entire space is always closed. But "closed" in the sense of a closed manifold is something more specific: a compact manifold without boundary. Not all manifolds meet that definition. And, as you appear to agree, such a manifold cannot be covered by a single chart. Which was what I said about ##S^1## earlier.

By the same definition, ##S^1 \times R## is not a closed manifold (it's not compact), so it can be covered by a single chart, as stevendaryl showed (and after his and DrGreg's correction, I see how that works, as I posted before).

Cruz Martinez said:
Which is exctly why i asked in which sense he means closed this time, because last time i saw he used it in a very different (wrong) way. With this of course i agree that the sphere cannot be covered by one chart since homeos preserve compactness as all continuous maps do.
You said that every manifold is closed. But whatever definition of closed you choose this is not true. The plane minus a point is not closed as a metric space and is not a closed manifold.

A manifold that is not closed may still not be coverable with a single chart. An example is a torus minus a point.

lavinia said:
You said that every manifold is closed. But whatever definition of closed you choose this is not true. The plane minus a point is not closed as a metric space and is not a closed manifold.

I meant closed in the sense of 'a closed subset of its own topology' which is the sense in which peter tried to use the term last time. It is certainly true for any manifold that it is a closed subset of its own topology! I tried to interpret what peter said this time and i was simply wrong in that interpretation. This doesn't meant i don't know a closed manifold is compact without boundary, and i will leave it at that.