Single slit diffraction pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses a single slit diffraction pattern and the calculations for determining the width of the slit and the wavelength of the light source. The first minimum is at a 40 degree angle from the central maximum for a 410 nm monochromatic light source, while the second minimum is at a 60 degree angle for a different monochromatic light source. The formula used is w=2(λ)L/a and the answers for the width of the slit are given as 587 nm, 103 nm, and 1170 nm for choices a, b, and c respectively. For the second light source, the possible wavelengths are 587 nm, 307 nm, and 615 nm for choices a, b,
kevnm67

Homework Statement

A single slit forms a diffraction pattern, with the first minimum at an angle of 40 from the central maximum. Monochromatic light of 410 nm wavelength is used. The same slit, illuminated by a different monochromatic light source, produces a diffraction pattern with the second minimum at a 60 angle from the central maximum. (Remember to convert degrees to radians – Recall: 2πrad=〖360〗^0.)
A) What is the width of the slit?
a. 587 nm b. 103 nm c. 1170 nm

B) What is the wavelength of the second light source?
a. 587 nm b. 307 nm c. 615 nm

C) If the screen is placed 1 meter away, what is the width of the central maximum for the 410 nm light source?
a. 0.70 m b. 1.4 m c. 2.

Homework Equations

w=2(λ)L/a

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I solved for "a" and got 7 x 10-9 but don't know where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
kevnm67 said:
a) I solved for "a" and got 7 x 10-9 but don't know where to go from here?
Show how you got that answer.

Did you copy the problem correctly? I don't see any of the answer choices as being correct.

Doc Al said:
Show how you got that answer.

Did you copy the problem correctly? I don't see any of the answer choices as being correct.

Yep, it's copied correctly...

for a I did:

theta = p (lamda/a)
and I get 10.25, not the other no., I used the wrong angle.

kevnm67 said:
Yep, it's copied correctly...

for a I did:

theta = p (lamda/a)
Ah... that formula is only an approximation. It's only true in the small angle limit, where sin(theta) ≈ theta, where theta is in radians. (I wondered why they mentioned radians!)

Using that approximation, I can see how they get their answers.
and I get 10.25, not the other no., I used the wrong angle.
Redo this calculation. In using the formula, make sure you convert the angle to radians.

Ok. I got it all now...radians! Thanks again, Dr. Al, ill be sure to give you credit on my final tomorrow ;)

What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a narrow slit and spreads out into a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes. It is a type of interference pattern caused by the diffraction of light waves.

What causes the single slit diffraction pattern?

The single slit diffraction pattern is caused by the interference of light waves passing through a narrow slit. As the waves pass through the slit, they diffract or bend, causing the light to spread out into a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

What factors affect the single slit diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the screen all affect the single slit diffraction pattern. A wider slit will result in a narrower pattern, longer wavelengths will result in a wider pattern, and a greater distance between the slit and the screen will result in a larger pattern.

What is the relationship between the slit width and the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit is directly related to the diffraction pattern. A wider slit will result in a narrower pattern, while a narrower slit will result in a wider pattern. This is because wider slits allow more light waves to pass through, resulting in less diffraction and a narrower pattern.

How is single slit diffraction used in science and technology?

Single slit diffraction is used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in the field of spectroscopy to analyze the properties of light and in the study of wave phenomena in physics.