Single Slit Diffraction question

In summary, the equation for dark fringes in single slit diffraction is sinθ = (mλ)/a, where λ is the wavelength of light in nanometers, a is the width of the single slit, and m is any integer value. This is because the path length difference for destructive interference can be expressed as (m/2)λ, where m is an odd integer, and this leads to the equation sinθ = (mλ)/a. However, this is different from the equation for two-slit or diffraction grating interference, where the positions of MAXIMA are calculated using the same equation but with different values for m. The positions for MAXIMA in single slit diffraction are not even halfway between the MIN
carnot cycle

Homework Statement

I'm having difficulty understanding why this equation makes sense for the following m values.

Homework Equations

The following is stated in my textbook.
For dark fringes,
sinθ = (mλ)/a
where λ is the wavelength of light in nanometers and a is the width of the single slit.
m is ±1, ±2, ±3, ±4, etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand where the equation arises from, however, what I am not understanding is why all values of m are used in this equation and not just the odd ones. Because if I go backwards, here is what happens:

The path length difference is (a/2)sinθ, and for destructive interference, the following must hold:
path length difference = (m/2)λ, where m is an odd integer because the waves have to be out of phase to destroy each other through superposition.

So this is true then:
(a/2)sinθ = (m/2)λ but m has to be odd.

My book canceled the twos in the denominator and divided by a on both sides, but made it so all values of m could work. I find this very confusing. Why isn't it only odd values of m?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand where the equation arises from, however, what I am not understanding is why all values of m are used in this equation and not just the odd ones.
If you understood the derivation, how come you you don't see why the m values are not odd? Isn't that part of the derivation?

How did the book arrange things so that all values integer values of m would work?
Have you looked for other examples of the derivation? i.e.
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-03a/m309-projects/krzak/

The path length difference is (a/2)sinθ, and for destructive interference, the following must hold:
path length difference = (m/2)λ, where m is an odd integer because the waves have to be out of phase to destroy each other through superposition.

I think you might be confusing 2 source interference with single slit diffraction?
For single slit diffraction MINIMA occur when aSinθ = nλ n = 1,2,3... (NOT 0 !)

Thanks for the responses. Yes I might be confusing the two. But I thought for dark fringes in general, the wavelengths have to be out of phase, thus corresponding to a path length difference equal to (n+1/2)λ, where n = 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.

your general view is correct but a single slit is completely different (mathematically) from 2 slits or a diffraction grating.
Ironically...it turns out that the equation to calculate the position of MINIMA for a single slit 'looks like' the equation to calculate the positions of MAXIMA for 2 slits or a diffraction grating.
Even worse !...The positions for MAXIMA with the single slit are not even 1/2 way between the MINIMA ! the maths is more difficult...have you met it??

No I have not. But thanks for telling me that they are very different from one another. I was trying to relate the two and got very confused!

Related to Single Slit Diffraction question

1. How does single slit diffraction work?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave passes through a narrow opening, such as a slit. The wave spreads out and creates a pattern of alternating light and dark bands on a screen placed behind the slit. This is due to the wave bending around the edges of the slit, causing interference patterns to form.

2. What is the difference between single slit and double slit diffraction?

The main difference between single slit and double slit diffraction is the number of slits that the wave passes through. In single slit diffraction, there is only one narrow opening, while in double slit diffraction, there are two narrow openings. This results in a more complex interference pattern in double slit diffraction compared to the simpler pattern in single slit diffraction.

3. How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit is a key factor in determining the diffraction pattern. A narrower slit will produce a wider diffraction pattern, while a wider slit will produce a narrower pattern. This is because a wider slit allows more of the wave to pass through, resulting in less bending and a narrower pattern, while a narrower slit causes more bending and a wider pattern.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and the diffraction pattern?

The wavelength of the wave passing through the slit also affects the diffraction pattern. As the wavelength increases, the distance between the light and dark bands in the pattern also increases. This is because longer wavelengths result in less bending and interference, resulting in a wider pattern. Similarly, shorter wavelengths cause more bending and a narrower pattern.

5. How is single slit diffraction used in practical applications?

Single slit diffraction is used in many practical applications, such as in microscopy, spectroscopy, and optical encoding. In microscopy, it is used to improve the resolution of images by reducing the size of the light source. In spectroscopy, it is used to analyze the properties of light and matter. In optical encoding, it is used to create barcodes and other data storage methods. It is also used in various types of diffraction grating devices, such as spectrometers and monochromators.