Singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator

In summary, the propagator has two singularities, one at t_2-t_1=n\pi /\omega and another at t_2-t_1=T/2.
Cancer
Hi people!
Today I was doing some QFT homework and in one of them they ask me to calculate the Harmonic Oscillator propagator, which, as you may know is:
[tex]W(q_2,t_2 ; q_1,t_1) = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\pi i \hbar \sin \omega (t_2-t_1)}} \times \exp \left(\frac{im\omega}{2\hbar \sin \omega (t_2-t_1)}\left[ (q_1^2+q_2^2)\cos \omega (t_2-t_1)-2q_2q_1\right]\right)[/tex]

So, the last question of the problem is explaining why do we have singularities at [itex]t_2-t_1=n\pi / \omega[/itex].
I've been searching for it on books and I've found something about the "caustics", which I've no idea what is it...
I understand that when [itex]t_2-t_1=0 [/itex] it has to diverge, because the particle hasn't moved from its place as the time hasn't passed, but why it happens every half period?
It seems to me that if the function diverges at those points then we are sure of which is the position of the particle at those times, and I thought that there had to be an uncertainty for [itex]t_2-t_1 \neq 0 [/itex] (I don't know if I'm explaining well enought what I think hahahhaa...)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, that's a very good question. I've never thought about it, to be honest. Of course, any propagator must fulfill the boundary condition
[tex]W(q_2,0;q_3,0)=\delta(q_2-q_3).[/tex]
That this occurs periodically may be caused by the dynamical SU(2) symmetry of the simple harmonic oscillator. Mathematically it's easy to understand by deriving the propgator making use of the Heisenberg picture. Solving the equations of motion for the position and momentum operators is exactly as for c-numbers, because the Hamiltonian is quadratic not only in momentum but also in position, i.e., the equations of motion are linear.

Cancer said:
So, the last question of the problem is explaining why do we have singularities at [itex]t_2-t_1=n\pi / \omega[/itex].
I've been searching for it on books and I've found something about the "caustics", which I've no idea what is it...
I understand that when [itex]t_2-t_1=0 [/itex] it has to diverge, because the particle hasn't moved from its place as the time hasn't passed, but why it happens every half period?

Where will the particle be after one period? Remember that for the harmonic oscillator every wave function is exactly periodic with period [itex]T = 2\pi/\omega[/itex].

Now, where will the particle be after one half-period?

You might find it fun to set up and play with a harmonic oscillator potential in this applet.

Actually, what's interesting about the harmonic oscillator propagator is that it is periodic:
[itex]W(q_2,t_2 ; q_1,t_1) = W(q_2,t_2 + n T; q_1,t_1)[/itex]

where [itex]T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}[/itex]

Given that it is periodic, you would expect a singularity whenever [itex]t_2 - t_1 = n T[/itex], because every propagator has a singularity at [itex]t_2 - t_1 = 0[/itex]

So the only mystery is why there are twice as many singularities as that. There is a singularity at [itex]t_2 - t_1 = \frac{T}{2}[/itex] as well as at [itex]t_2 - t_1 = T[/itex]

Thanks for the answers!

Related to Singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator

1. What is a singularity in the harmonic oscillator propagator?

A singularity in the harmonic oscillator propagator refers to a point in the mathematical expression for the propagator where the value becomes infinite or undefined. This can occur when the energy of the system matches the energy of one of its allowed states, resulting in a resonance.

2. How do singularities affect the behavior of the harmonic oscillator?

Singularities can significantly influence the behavior of the harmonic oscillator by causing the system to exhibit non-analytic behavior, such as a sudden jump or discontinuity in the propagator. This can lead to unpredictable and complex dynamics in the system.

3. Can singularities be avoided in the harmonic oscillator propagator?

In general, singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator cannot be avoided, as they are a fundamental aspect of the system. However, in some cases, such as when using certain approximation techniques, it is possible to minimize the impact of singularities.

4. What are some applications of studying singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator?

Studying singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator can have various applications in different fields of physics, such as understanding the behavior of quantum systems, analyzing the stability of dynamical systems, and developing new computational techniques for solving differential equations.

5. Are there any ongoing research efforts related to singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to better understand the behavior of singularities in the harmonic oscillator propagator and their implications for various physical systems. Some current research focuses on developing new methods for dealing with singularities and exploring their role in complex systems.