Siphoning through a straight tube

• I
  • Thread starter the ads 13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of pre-cooling the innermost part of a dewar with liquid nitrogen before adding liquid helium, which is more expensive. To remove excess liquid nitrogen, a metal tube is used, and a higher pressure inside the dewar than the atmosphere is needed for the siphoning process. The specific calculations using Bernoulli's equations are also mentioned, with a resulting pressure of 1.8 bars needed inside the dewar, which is deemed too high. The conversation then concludes with a clarification on the actual pressure needed for the process to work.
the ads 13
Hi y'all,
I am currently doing research in nuclear physics dealing with cryogenics. We want to pre cool the inner most part of a dewar with liquid nitrogen before we put liquid helium in since it's quite expensive. Once the nitrogen stops boiling off and reaches somewhat of an equilibrium, the excess liquid needs to be siphoned out of the dewar. Our only option is to use a metal tube sticking straight up into the air. In order to siphon the liquid nitrogen out, we need a higher pressure in the dewar than the atmosphere. I go through my calculations with Bernoulli's equations and I seem to get around 1.8 bars needed inside the dewar. That answer seems too high to me and I don't know where I'm going wrong. Here are some specifics:

Total volume flow rate: 2 liters/hour (.002 m^3/hour)
Diameter of metal tube: 3mm
Diameter of Inner Dewar Compartment: 101.6 mm
Density of Liquid Nitrogen: 807.0 kg/m^3
Total Height of Tube: 1.5 m
Height from surface of liquid nitrogen to top of tube: 1 m

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure at the bottom of the tube due to the weight of the nitrogen will be ##\rho g h## or 0.11875 bar. Adding the atmospheric pressure, you get an absolute pressure of 1.132 bar. If you maintain a pressure inside the dewar larger than this, the nitrogen will flow out the tube.

At the beginning of the process (when the difference in height is 1 m), you only need 1.092 bar of absolute pressure in the dewar to initiate flow outside of the tube.

Ah okay makes sense. I think I was including a velocity term that gave me a higher answer. Thanks!

1. How does siphoning through a straight tube work?

Siphoning through a straight tube works by creating a vacuum in the tube, causing liquid to flow from a higher level to a lower level due to the force of gravity. As the liquid flows down the tube, air enters from the top, maintaining the vacuum and allowing the siphon to continue.

2. What materials are needed to create a siphon through a straight tube?

To create a siphon through a straight tube, you will need a source of liquid, a container to hold the liquid, and a tube that is long enough to reach from the higher level to the lower level. The tube can be made of any material that is able to withstand the liquid being siphoned.

3. Can a siphon through a straight tube work with any type of liquid?

Yes, a siphon through a straight tube can work with any type of liquid as long as the liquid is able to flow freely through the tube. However, the thickness or viscosity of the liquid may affect the speed at which it flows through the siphon.

4. How can I start and stop a siphon through a straight tube?

To start a siphon through a straight tube, you can either suck on the top of the tube to create a vacuum or fill the tube with liquid and then quickly cover the end of the tube with your finger as you place it in the liquid source. To stop the siphon, you can simply remove the tube from the liquid source or let air enter the top of the tube.

5. Are there any risks involved with siphoning through a straight tube?

Yes, there are a few risks involved with siphoning through a straight tube. If the liquid being siphoned is harmful or toxic, you should take precautions to avoid contact with it. Additionally, if the tube is not properly secured or supported, it could potentially fall or cause spills. It is important to take safety precautions and use caution when siphoning through a straight tube.