Sites for some practice programming

In summary, this is a website that has programming problems, some of which may involve mathematical thinking. There are also problems which may require a program to perform the computations. Additionally, this website has a problem section where people can ask clarifying questions or possibly get general hints on how to approach a problem.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is not a question, but a note, which I thought could help students.

I thought I would share this here, as people may be looking for practice problems.

My professor in the Python course I just finished recommended https://projecteuler.net/ as a site to practice using programming skills. There are some nice problems which usually involve some mathematical thinking, and then possibly using some program to perform the computations.

http://rosalind.info/problems/locations/ starts out with some easy problems, designed to be solved with Python, and then gets more difficult with some Bioinformatics related problems. Here is a Wikipedia article about bioinformatics, in case you don't know what that is.

On the Rosalind.info problems that I've gone through so far, they give sample code solutions to the problems.

Likes WWGD, JD_PM, magoo and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
In Rosalind, the data can change for each attempt. On each attempt, you get 5 minutes to submit a solution.

So you get to see the solution code after you have successfully submitted a correct answer. But there is a question section where people can ask clarifying questions or possibly get some general hints on what direction to go in. It looks like some fun practice.

Likes magoo
scottdave said:
My professor in the Python course I just finished recommended https://projecteuler.net/ as a site to practice using programming skills. There are some nice problems which usually involve some mathematical thinking, and then possibly using some program to perform the computations.
Project Euler has brainstorming problems. While doing the programs, complexity has to be kept in mind. Sometimes time complexity becomes so large that the program might take hours to run.

Likes scottdave
Yes some of the problems in Project Euler would run for extremely long times, unless a mathematical technique can be used to make computations quicker or shorter.
I recently started practicing in https://www.codewars.com which I'm enjoying. I like that each problem is designed for perhaps multiple programming languages, so I can choose to solve it in different languages. Currently I'm trying to improve my skills in R, so I'm looking for those. I also want to improve my Python. Many of the problems need to be thought through for proper approach before just 'coding away'.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What are some popular sites for practicing programming?

Some popular sites for practicing programming include Codecademy, HackerRank, LeetCode, and FreeCodeCamp.

2. Do these sites offer free resources for practicing programming?

Yes, all of the sites mentioned above offer free resources for practicing programming. However, some may also have paid options for more advanced features.

3. Can I practice programming in different languages on these sites?

Yes, most of these sites offer a variety of programming languages for you to practice, such as Python, Java, C++, and more.

4. Are there any interactive challenges or exercises on these sites?

Yes, these sites typically offer interactive challenges and exercises to help you practice and improve your programming skills. They may also have projects or coding challenges for you to work on.

5. Can I track my progress on these sites?

Yes, most of these sites have features that allow you to track your progress, such as completing lessons, earning badges, and solving coding challenges. This can help you stay motivated and see how far you've come in your programming journey.