Situation involving gravity, a quarter-circular incline plane, and friction.

In summary, a 4.0 kg block is released from rest at the top of a frictionless incline with radius r and slides along a rough horizontal surface with a frictional force of 5 N. The block comes to rest after sliding 3 meters. The magnitude of the block's acceleration is 1.25 m/s2, it slides for approximately 2.19 seconds before coming to rest, and the radius of the incline is found using the conservation of energy.
Woolverton
1. A block of mass 4.0 kg is released from rest at the top of a frictionless incline shaped as a quarter-circle of radius r. At the bottom of the incline, the block slides along a rough horizontal surface, experiencing frictional force of 5 N. The block comes to rest after sliding a distance of 3 meters.

(a) What is the magnitude of the block's acceleration while it slides along the rough horizontal surface?

(b) For how much time does the block slide along the rough surface before coming to rest?

(c) What is the radius of the quarter-circular incline plane?

I've drawn a sketch of the situation for your convenience. I hope it helps.

sketch_zps4d0f1c2b.jpg

g= 10 m/s2
F= m/a
x= 1/2 * at2 + v0t + x0

(a)

m = 4 kg
F = 5 N

F = ma
a= F/m

a = 5/4 = 1.25 ms/2 (I'm sure this is correct)

(b)

d = 3 m
a = 1.25 m/s2

a= = d/t2
t= (d/a)1/2

t= (3/1.25)1/2 (not very confident about this one)

(c)

I don't know what equation to use, but I'm sure it involves the velocity of the object as it comes off of the incline.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

HI Woolverton! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Woolverton said:
(a)

m = 4 kg
F = 5 N

F = ma
a= F/m

a = 5/4 = 1.25 ms/2 (I'm sure this is correct)

erm :redface: … yes, but shouldn't it be negative? :wink:
(b)

d = 3 m
a = 1.25 m/s2

a= = d/t2
t= (d/a)1/2

t= (3/1.25)1/2 (not very confident about this one)

try your x = at + 1/2 a t2 equation again …

you seem to have lost a 2 somewhere :redface:
(c)

I don't know what equation to use, but I'm sure it involves the velocity of the object as it comes off of the incline.

use conservation of energy (to find the height) :smile:

Related to Situation involving gravity, a quarter-circular incline plane, and friction.

1. What is the relationship between gravity and the quarter-circular incline plane?

The quarter-circular incline plane is a surface that is angled in a circular shape, which affects the acceleration due to gravity acting on an object placed on it. This means that gravity will pull the object down the slope of the incline plane, causing it to accelerate in that direction.

2. How does friction come into play in this situation?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and in this situation, it will act in the opposite direction of the object's motion down the quarter-circular incline plane. This means that friction will slow down the object's acceleration and affect its overall movement.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction in this scenario?

The amount of friction present in this situation can be influenced by several factors such as the type of surface the object is sliding on, the weight and shape of the object, and the amount of force applied to the object.

4. How can we calculate the acceleration of the object down the quarter-circular incline plane?

The acceleration of the object can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the force of gravity minus the force of friction, and the resulting acceleration can be found by dividing this net force by the mass of the object.

5. Can the angle of the quarter-circular incline plane affect the object's acceleration?

Yes, the angle of the incline plane can greatly impact the object's acceleration. A steeper incline plane will result in a higher acceleration due to the increased force of gravity acting on the object. On the other hand, a shallower incline plane will lead to a lower acceleration due to a weaker force of gravity acting on the object.