Size sample required to construct a 95% C.I. with margin of error

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of determining the sample size needed to construct a 95% confidence interval with a margin of error of 0.3. The suggested method of trial and error was questioned, and the formula n = (z*sigma/E)^2 was mentioned as a more accurate and efficient method. The conversation concluded by emphasizing the importance of having a correct estimation of the standard deviation in order for the formula to provide an appropriate sample size.
goodz
N = 8
Mean = 2.10
stDev = 0.537

What size sample is required to construct a 95% confidence interval with a margin of error of 0.3?
try n = 12, t(.975) with 11 deg. of freedom = 2.2001
so n = ( (.537* 2.2001) / (.3))^2 = 15.5

try n = 14, i get n = 14.95
n = 15, n = 14.74
Why is this a trial and error?
What I don't get is what are we trying to get n to equal?

the answer: n must be between 14 and 15 so, use n = 15.

Physics news on Phys.org
First question: what is [itex] N = 8 [/itex] in your question? Second question: are you trying to look for the sample size to use to generate a CI for a mean? If so, have you not encountered the formula

[tex]
n = \left(\frac{z \times \sigma}{E}\right)^2
[/tex]

(E is the margin of error)? The general rule is to use this and round the result to the next highest integer. If you use the method you suggest (which I haven't seen in any text)
* you are correct, you get a game of guessing
* it isn't obvious to me that it would ever converge - that is, if you repeated the same step with 15, then with
the result of that calculation, and so on, I am not sure you would ever zero in on a single value.

The benefit of the formula I presented is that it does give an idea of an appropriate sample size, IF, your guess at the size of the standard deviation is in the correct ballpark.

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the sample size needed to construct a 95% confidence interval with a specific margin of error?

The sample size needed for a 95% confidence interval with a specific margin of error can be calculated using a formula that takes into account the population size, desired level of confidence, and margin of error. Alternatively, there are online calculators and statistical software programs that can help you determine the sample size.

2. What is the significance of a 95% confidence interval?

A 95% confidence interval means that if the same sample was taken multiple times and confidence intervals were constructed, 95% of the intervals would contain the true population parameter. In other words, there is a 95% chance that the true population parameter lies within the calculated interval.

3. Can a smaller sample size be used to construct a 95% confidence interval with a larger margin of error?

Yes, a smaller sample size can be used to construct a 95% confidence interval with a larger margin of error. However, this may result in a wider interval and less precise estimate of the population parameter.

4. Does the margin of error affect the sample size needed for a 95% confidence interval?

Yes, the margin of error does affect the sample size needed for a 95% confidence interval. A smaller margin of error requires a larger sample size, while a larger margin of error can be achieved with a smaller sample size.

5. Is it necessary to have a 95% confidence interval for all studies?

No, it is not necessary to have a 95% confidence interval for all studies. The level of confidence and margin of error chosen for a confidence interval depend on the specific research question and the desired level of precision in the estimate of the population parameter.