Sizing a winch for loading onto a ramp

In summary, the conversation is about determining the size of a winch needed to pull a 40,000 lb vehicle up a 30 degree ramp with a drag coefficient of 0.5. The formula provided is Fp = Fg(weight of vehicle) x sin(30 degrees) = 40,000# x 0.5 = 20,000# for overcoming the slope and Fd = Fn x 0.5 = Fg x cos(30 degrees) x 0.5 = 40,000 x 0.866 x 0.5 = 17,320# for the drag caused by turning the track drive. Therefore, the total winch pull required would be 37,320
prefetch

Homework Statement

this isn't a homework problem, but i guess it's a basic enough question that i figured i'd post it here.

okay, so I'm trying to figure out how big of a winch to buy for a very large tow truck i am building. winches are rated based on how much they can pull. eg. a 20,000 lb winch can pull 20,000 lbs at a 0 degree incline (flat surface.)

so if i have a vehicle that weighs 40,000 lbs, and a ramp angle of 30 degrees, and a drag coefficient of .5 (if I'm towing a disabled tracked vehicle, I'm guessing a drag coefficient as high as .5 isn't unreasonable) then how big of a winch would i need to pull this up the ramp?

i'm looking for a formula, so i can change the values of my variables: weight of vehicle, drag coefficient of vehicle, winch size, angle of ramp.

Physics news on Phys.org
k, i found the answer out.

here it is:

The first thing you are interested in is the winch pull required to
overcome the 30 degree slope. In the explanation that is called Fp. In your
case:

Fp = Fg(weight of vehicle) x sin(30 degrees) = 40,000# x 0.5 = 20,000#

Normally a coefficient of friction related to the two surfaces in contact
is multiplied by Fn to determine the resistance in dragging the object up
the incline. However, in your case you primarily have the drag caused by
having to overcome the mechanical friction associated with turning the
track drive. I have towed track equipment before and this is a substantial
drag. You mention a drag coefficient of .5 and I wouldn't dispute this
value at all. So, the drag would be:

Fd = Fn x 0.5 = Fg x cos(30 degrees) x 0.5 = 40,000 x 0.866 x 0.5 =
17,320#

Then your total winch pull would be:

Ft = Fp + Fd = 20,000 + 17,320 = 37,320#

Related to Sizing a winch for loading onto a ramp

1. How do I determine the weight of my load?

The first step in sizing a winch for loading onto a ramp is to determine the weight of your load. This can be done by using a scale or by consulting the weight specifications provided by the manufacturer.

2. What is the incline of the ramp?

The incline of the ramp is an important factor in determining the required winch size. The steeper the incline, the more force will be required to pull the load up the ramp.

3. What is the coefficient of friction of the ramp surface?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is an important factor to consider when sizing a winch as it affects the amount of force needed to move the load up the ramp. A higher coefficient of friction will require a larger winch.

4. What is the desired speed of loading?

The desired speed of loading is another important consideration when sizing a winch. If you need to load the ramp quickly, a larger winch with a higher pulling capacity may be necessary. However, if speed is not a concern, a smaller winch may be sufficient.

5. How do I calculate the required pulling capacity?

To calculate the required pulling capacity of the winch, you will need to consider the weight of the load, the incline of the ramp, the coefficient of friction of the ramp surface, and the desired speed of loading. There are online calculators and formulas available to help with this calculation, or you can consult with a winch manufacturer for assistance.