Sizing an Air System piping

In summary, sizing an air system piping involves calculating the appropriate diameter and length of pipes to ensure efficient and effective air flow. Factors such as air pressure, velocity, and volume must be taken into account when determining the proper size and layout of the piping system. Oversized or undersized pipes can result in decreased performance and increased energy consumption. It is important to consult industry standards and guidelines when designing an air system piping to ensure optimal functionality and safety.
Matt Wilson
Hello, I have a Coen Duct burner system that requires a continuous flow of 120 scfm @ 5psi above duct pressure. Duct pressure is about 3 inwc. We have 6 pilots that will have a 1/2" inlet for the air. Our plant air system can supply 120psig and about 400 scfm. My issue is figuring out what size pipe I will need to run in order to obtain the 120 scfm @ 5psi. Also should i be more concerned with flow or pressure since this will be mixing air for combustion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the length of the pipe?

1. What factors should be considered when sizing an air system piping?

When sizing an air system piping, it is important to consider the air flow rate, the required pressure, the length and diameter of the piping, and the type of fittings and valves used.

2. How do I determine the appropriate pipe diameter for my air system?

The pipe diameter for an air system can be determined by calculating the required air flow rate and pressure drop, and then using a pipe sizing chart to find the corresponding pipe diameter.

3. What is the recommended velocity for air flow in an air system piping?

The recommended velocity for air flow in an air system piping is typically between 20-30 feet per second. This ensures efficient air flow without causing excessive pressure drop or noise.

4. Can I use different pipe materials for my air system piping?

Yes, different pipe materials can be used for air system piping. However, it is important to consider the compatibility of the materials with the air and any potential corrosion or chemical reactions that may occur.

5. How can I ensure my air system piping is properly sized?

The best way to ensure proper sizing of air system piping is to consult with a professional engineer or use a piping design software that takes into account all the necessary factors and provides accurate sizing calculations.