Ski Slope Avalanche: Time to Escape w/ 0 & 0.1 Friction

• Thread starter beocom6000yello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, a skier is caught in an avalanche on a 30 degree slope. The skier is 100m downhill from the start of the avalanche. Without friction, the skier has 6.4 seconds to move out of the way. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.1, the skier has 7.03 seconds to move. The equation being used is Fk = UkN.
beocom6000yello
an avalanche begins on a ski slope. the mountain is 30 degrees above horizontal. a skier is 100m downhill on path of avalanche
1. how much time does skier have to move out of way if no friction?
2. how much time does skier have if Uk is 0.1?

answer= 1. 6.4 s 2. 7.03 s

can someone please help me? the equation i am using is Fk = UkN

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is homework I would advise taking it to the homework section of the site where you may get more help.

There's no friction in the first case. You've got to show some work as to how you might approach this problem.

Related to Ski Slope Avalanche: Time to Escape w/ 0 & 0.1 Friction

1. What is a ski slope avalanche?

A ski slope avalanche is a sudden and rapid movement of snow down a steep slope, often caused by external factors such as weather conditions or human activity.

2. How does friction affect the severity of a ski slope avalanche?

Friction plays a critical role in the severity of a ski slope avalanche. A lower friction coefficient, such as 0 or 0.1, means there is less resistance for the snow to move down the slope, resulting in a more powerful and dangerous avalanche.

3. Is escaping a ski slope avalanche possible?

Yes, it is possible to escape a ski slope avalanche with proper preparation and quick thinking. It is important to have the necessary equipment, such as an avalanche beacon and shovel, and to have a plan in case of an emergency.

4. How can I reduce my risk of being caught in a ski slope avalanche?

To reduce your risk of being caught in a ski slope avalanche, it is important to check weather and avalanche conditions before heading out, stay on marked trails, and always ski with a partner. It is also crucial to have the necessary avalanche safety equipment and knowledge on how to use it.

5. What should I do if I am caught in a ski slope avalanche?

If you are caught in a ski slope avalanche, the first thing to do is try to get off the moving snow by swimming or crawling towards the edge. Once the avalanche stops, use your avalanche beacon to locate any buried individuals and dig them out as quickly as possible. Seek medical attention if needed.