Skin effect-skin depth-good conductors

In summary, the conversation touched upon the topic of skin effect and skin depth in electrical conductors. It was mentioned that skin depth varies with the inverse square root of conductivity and that higher frequencies result in smaller skin depth and higher resistance. The concept of a "good conductor" having a reduced skin depth was also discussed, with the conclusion that a higher conductivity value is more important. Finally, methods to limit the skin effect, such as splitting the current over multiple wires, were briefly mentioned.
Poly Vas
I am desperate with an assignment and i would be grateful if someone could answer the following question.
I read about skin effect and skin depth and i found the following one.
"The skin effect depends upon the nature of material used for the conductor diameter of the wire, frequency, shape
of the wire. Skin depth varies as the inverse square root of the conductivity. This means that better conductors
have a reduced skin depth."

As i know ac frequences provokes skin depth . Higher frequecnies means smaller skin depth and high Rac Resistance and high losses . I cannot undestand why a ''good conductor'' has a reduced skin depth. I thought that good conductor means bigger skin depth, small resistance Rac and small losses.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Qualitatively: A good conductor can have the same current in a smaller area.
The higher conductivity value is more important than the reduced skin depth (just the square root of conductivity), so you still get a smaller resistance from better conductors.

Likes jrive
Thanks a lot for the reply. Last question. I am searching for methods to limit the skin effect in electrical conductors but I don't have electrical backround( I am a civil engineer) could you please tell me some methods to limit the skin effect?

The wikipedia article discusses some approaches. In general, split the current over multiple wires or wire-like things. Get the return lines close together, if reasonable.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your assignment. I can provide you with a response to the content you have shared about skin effect and skin depth.

Firstly, skin effect refers to the phenomenon where alternating current (AC) tends to flow on the surface of a conductor rather than through its entire cross-section. This is due to the self-inductance of the conductor, which causes the current to concentrate on the outer layer of the conductor. This effect is more prominent at higher frequencies.

The skin depth is the distance from the surface of the conductor at which the current density drops to 37% of its maximum value. It is inversely proportional to the square root of the conductivity of the material. This means that as the conductivity of a material increases, the skin depth decreases. This is because highly conductive materials allow more current to flow on the surface, reducing the penetration depth of the current.

Now, let's address your confusion about good conductors and skin depth. A good conductor is a material that allows for the easy flow of electric current. This is typically characterized by a low electrical resistance. However, in the case of skin effect, the conductivity of the material plays a more significant role in determining the skin depth. As mentioned earlier, higher conductivity leads to a smaller skin depth, which means the current will mostly flow on the surface of the conductor.

In summary, skin effect and skin depth are affected by the material used for the conductor, its diameter, and the frequency of the current. A good conductor, with high conductivity, will have a smaller skin depth due to the increased current flow on its surface. I hope this clarifies your understanding of these concepts. Good luck with your assignment!

What is skin effect?

Skin effect is the tendency of alternating current (AC) to flow more towards the surface of a conductor, rather than evenly distributing throughout the entire cross-section of the conductor. This phenomenon is caused by the interaction between the AC current and the magnetic field it produces.

What is skin depth?

Skin depth is the measure of how deep the current penetrates into the conductor. It is defined as the distance from the surface of the conductor at which the current density has decreased to 37% of its value at the surface. It is influenced by the frequency of the AC current, the resistivity of the conductor, and the permeability of the material.

What materials are considered good conductors?

Materials that have low resistivity are considered good conductors. Some examples include copper, silver, and aluminum. These materials have high electron mobility, meaning the electrons can easily move through the material, allowing for efficient flow of electricity.

How does skin effect affect the performance of a conductor?

Skin effect can cause an increase in resistance and a decrease in the effective cross-sectional area of the conductor. This leads to higher power losses and heat generation, which can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the conductor.

How can skin effect be minimized?

To minimize skin effect, conductors can be made with larger diameters or multiple smaller strands to increase the surface area. Another method is to use conductors with lower resistivity, such as copper or silver. Additionally, using higher frequencies can also reduce the skin depth and minimize the effects of skin effect.