Sledding Down a Hill: Calculating Friction and Velocity

In summary: Still wrong. How do you get that? What is theta...In summary, a man is sledding down a 20m high hill that is at an angle of 30 degrees. He is given a push that has him initially going 7m/s. He experiences a force of friction of 22N on his way down the hill. Using W=Fdcos(Θ), he calculates that 762J is done by the force.
DeepPatel

Homework Statement

A man (75kg) is sledding down a 20m high hill that is at an angle of 30 degrees. He is given a push that has him initially going 7m/s. He experiences a force of friction of 22N on his way down the hill.

a) How much work is done by friction on his way down the hill?

b) How fast is he going when he gets to the bottom?

Homework Equations

W=Fdcos(Θ), MEi + W = MEf

The Attempt at a Solution

For (part a) I thought you had to use 1/2mvi2 + W = mgh but I feel like I am messing something up with the potential and kinetic energy.

For (part b) I know you solve for final velocity but I'm not sure if you use 1/2mvi2+ mgh + W = 1/2mvf2 after getting the answer for work.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeepPatel said:

Homework Statement

A man (75kg) is sledding down a 20m high hill that is at an angle of 30 degrees. He is given a push that has him initially going 7m/s. He experiences a force of friction of 22N on his way down the hill.

a) How much work is done by friction on his way down the hill?

b) How fast is he going when he gets to the bottom?

Homework Equations

W=Fdcos(Θ), MEi + W = MEf

The Attempt at a Solution

For (part a) I thought you had to use 1/2mvi2 + W = mgh but I feel like I am messing something up with the potential and kinetic energy.

For (part b) I know you solve for final velocity but I'm not sure if you use 1/2mvi2+ mgh + W = 1/2mvf2 after getting the answer for work.
a) What's the basic definition of work?

b) Have in mind that, when the man is pushed, he is at the top of the hill so he has both kinetic and potential energy. When he gets to the bottom, he has only kinetic energy. It's just conservation of mechanical energy.

DeepPatel said:
For (part a) I thought you had to use 1/2mvi2 + W = mgh
You don't have enough information to tackle it from that end.
What other equations can you think of for work done by a force?

ramzerimar said:
a) What's the basic definition of work?

b) Have in mind that, when the man is pushed, he is at the top of the hill so he has both kinetic and potential energy. When he gets to the bottom, he has only kinetic energy. It's just conservation of mechanical energy.

a) Using W=Fdcos(theta) I don't know what the distance is, do I solve for the hypotenuse?

b) If he only has kinetic energy then wouldn't it only be 1/2mv2i + W = 1/2mvf

DeepPatel said:
a) Using W=Fdcos(theta) I don't know what the distance is, do I solve for the hypotenuse?
Yes, why wouldn't you?

haruspex said:
You don't have enough information to tackle it from that end.
What other equations can you think of for work done by a force?
haruspex said:
Yes, why wouldn't you?
Did that and used W=Fdcos(theta) and got 190.525J, now I'm just confused on what I am missing for part b.

DeepPatel said:
Did that and used W=Fdcos(theta) and got 190.525J
Looks wrong to me. Please post your working.

For part b), the equation you originally posted was correct, but we need to see how you apply it.

haruspex said:
Looks wrong to me. Please post your working.

For part b), the equation you originally posted was correct, but we need to see how you apply it.

a) I did it over and first I did cos(30) * 20 to solve for the hypotenuse and got 17 m. Then I did 22 * 17 * cos30 and got 324J.

DeepPatel said:
I did cos(30) * 20 to solve for the hypotenuse
That is not going to give you the hypotenuse. Did you draw a diagram?

Yeah I did, the first time I did it I just did the sin(30) = 20/x and got 10 for x.

Are you sure that sin(30) = x/20?

Sine is opposite over hypotenuse and we are giving the opposite which is 20m unless I am putting my angle in the wrong spot.

Sin(30) is equal to 0.5 which means that x would have to be 40 which I calculated wrong in the first place.

DeepPatel said:
Sine is opposite over hypotenuse and we are giving the opposite which is 20m unless I am putting my angle in the wrong spot.

Sin(30) is equal to 0.5 which means that x would have to be 40 which I calculated wrong in the first place.
Yes, x must be 40.

Alright so knowing that using W=Fdcos(theta) I should get 762J.

part b) If that is work then I can now solve for vf by using the original formula and get 427.32 m/s? Seems a bit large to me.

DeepPatel said:
using W=Fdcos(theta) I should get 762J.
Still wrong. How do you get that? What is theta there?

haruspex said:
Still wrong. How do you get that? What is theta there?

Did 22N*40m*cos(30) and got that.

DeepPatel said:
Regarding item (b), remember to take the square root!

DeepPatel said:
In the standard equation W=Fd cos(theta), how is the angle theta defined?

haruspex said:
In the standard equation W=Fd cos(theta), how is the angle theta defined?
Oh I forgot the angle is defined by the direction of the force and distance, in this case the force and distance are opposite to each other so would the angle be 180 degrees?

DeepPatel said:
Oh I forgot the angle is defined by the direction of the force and distance, in this case the force and distance are opposite to each other so would the angle be 180 degrees?
Whether they are opposite or in the same direction depends on how you are defining the positive directions, but yes, that will give the right magnitude.

So then work would be equal to 880J for part a.

DeepPatel said:
So then work would be equal to 880J for part a.
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Now I plug that into the original question 1/2mvi2+ mgh + W = 1/2mvf2, solve for final velocity and I got 21.66 m/s

DeepPatel said:
Now I plug that into the original question 1/2mvi2+ mgh + W = 1/2mvf2, solve for final velocity and I got 21.66 m/s
Did the work done by friction make him go faster?

I don't think it should but if the equation I have is correct I'm not sure where I am going wrong.

Since it is asking for the speed at the bottom I do think it should have a higher speed.

DeepPatel said:
I don't think it should but if the equation I have is correct I'm not sure where I am going wrong.

Since it is asking for the speed at the bottom I do think it should have a higher speed.
Let me put it another way... in the equation you used for the man's mechanical energy at the bottom, did the work done by friction make a positive or negative contribution?

Valuable tip: never apply equations blindly and trust the answers. There are too many ways you can accidentally misapply them. Part of your brain has to keep asking "does this make physical sense?"

haruspex said:
Let me put it another way... in the equation you used for the man's mechanical energy at the bottom, did the work done by friction make a positive or negative contribution?
The work done by friction was negative, yes.

DeepPatel said:
Then you should have got a smaller answer. Please post all your working.

DeepPatel said:
Try this: if there was no friction, what should your final speed be?
So, if you have negative work done by friction, your speed should be smaller than that.

haruspex said:
Then you should have got a smaller answer. Please post all your working.
ramzerimar said:
Try this: if there was no friction, what would your final speed be?
So, if you have negative work done by friction, your speed should be smaller than that.
I had added 880J and I think I had to subtract. If I fixed the errors I now got an answer of 20.549 m/s

(1/2)(75)(72) + (75)(10)(20) - 880 = 1/2 (75) (v2f)

DeepPatel said:
I had added 880J and I think I had to subtract. If I fixed the errors I now got an answer of 20.549 m/s
I get slightly less, but that should be close enough. Maybe you used a larger value for g.

haruspex said:
I get slightly less, but that should be close enough. Maybe you used a larger value for g.
Yeah our teacher prefers we use 10 m/s2 instead of 9.81m/s2 to save us time and make it easier.

1. What is the relationship between friction and velocity when sledding down a hill?

The amount of friction between the sled and the snow will affect the velocity of the sled. More friction will slow down the sled, while less friction will allow it to move faster.

2. How can we calculate the amount of friction while sledding?

The amount of friction can be calculated by using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the sled.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction while sledding?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the surface of the hill (such as snow or ice), the weight of the sled and rider, and the materials of the sled. Additionally, the angle of the hill and the temperature can also affect the coefficient of friction.

4. How does the angle of the hill affect the velocity of the sled?

The steeper the hill, the faster the sled will go due to the force of gravity. However, as the angle of the hill increases, the friction between the sled and the snow will also increase, slowing down the sled.

5. Can we use the same formula to calculate friction and velocity on different surfaces?

The formula F = μN can be used to calculate friction on different surfaces, but the coefficient of friction (μ) will vary depending on the surface. For example, the coefficient of friction for snow will be different than that of ice or pavement.