Slide generator/hookes law problem

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Slide
In summary, the problem involves a stiff spring with a spring constant of 1200 N/m connected to a bar of length 60 x 10^-2 m and mass .75 kg, sliding without friction. This bar is connected to a U shaped wire forming a loop of width 40 x 10^-2 m and total resistance of 25 ohms, sitting in a uniform magnetic field of B = .35 T. The bar is initially pulled 5x10^-2 m to the left and released, causing it to oscillate. The induced current in the loop, I(t), is determined by using the equations ε = Blv and I = ε/R. The acceleration of the bar is found using Hooke's Law
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A stiff spring with a spring constant of 1200 N/m is connected to a bar on the slide generator as show in figure P32.40 Assume the bar has length l = 60 x10^-2 m and mass .75 kg, and it slides without friction. The bar connects to a U shaped wire to form a loop that has width w = 40 x 10^-2 m and total resistance 25 ohms and that sits in uniform magnetic field B = .35 T. The bar is initially pulled 5x10^-2 m to the left and released so that it begins to oscillate. What is the induced current in the loop as a function of time I(t)? (Ignore any effects due to the magnetic force on the oscillating bar)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ε = Blv, I = ε/R

so I(t) = ( (BL) / R ) * v(t)

I(t) = .0084 * v(t)

I'm having a hard time finding the function of v(t)

I know from hookes law -kx = ma

-kx /m = a

-80 = a

-80 = d^2 x /dt

But where do I go from here? Sorry I am lost. Wasn't even sure to put this in the math forum or here..

So I know the acceleration is equal to a constant number, how do I make that in terms of time? Any help would be great..

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the acceleration is constant? The system is oscillating, which means x is changing, but k and m are both constants. Using Hooke's Law, what does that tell you about a?

RedDelicious said:
Why do you think the acceleration is constant? The system is oscillating, which means x is changing, but k and m are both constants. Using Hooke's Law, what does that tell you about a?

I see. so from

-kx /m = a

on the left side, although -k and m are constants, I was wrong to just plug in 5x10^-2 m for x because although that's what it starts as, x is actually a function of time..

so my expression for a should look like: -1600x(t) = a(t)

and x HAS to be a sin or cos function because its oscillating correct?

But I'm still confused on how to proceed. I need v(t), which means taking the integral of -1600x(t)

I'm still having trouble constructing a function for x(t) though.. I know its a sin function but I'm a bit confused. would -1600 be the amplitude of it?

Rijad Hadzic said:
I see. so from

-kx /m = a

on the left side, although -k and m are constants, I was wrong to just plug in 5x10^-2 m for x because although that's what it starts as, x is actually a function of time..

so my expression for a should look like: -1600x(t) = a(t)

and x HAS to be a sin or cos function because its oscillating correct?

But I'm still confused on how to proceed. I need v(t), which means taking the integral of -1600x(t)

I'm still having trouble constructing a function for x(t) though.. I know its a sin function but I'm a bit confused. would -1600 be the amplitude of it?

Much better. Yes it will be a function of sine or cosine, depending on the initial conditions. No -1600, will not be the amplitude. You can immediately rule that out because it doesn't have units of distance.

The general solution is [tex] x(t) = A\cos{\omega t} + B\sin{\omega t} [/tex] where the amplitude is given by [itex]\sqrt{A^2+B^2}[/itex] and [itex]\omega = \sqrt{k/m}[/itex]

You can simplify that a bit by using the initial conditions. [itex]x(0) = x_0[/itex] and [itex]x'(0)=v(0) = 0[/itex]

Thanks for the reply. So far I've reached:

The position function as time in simple harmonic motion =

x(t) = 5x10^(-2) cos (ωt + φ)

5x10^-2 has to be the amplitude since that's how much it is pulled back from rest position

I also got φ = -pi because cosinverse(inital position / max position)

now I am having trouble finding ω. I don't think from the given info in the problem that I can find it actually... am I correct here?

Either way, taking the derivative, I get velocity..

-5x10^-2 ω sin(ωt + φ)

-5x10^-2 ω sin(ωt + -pi)

but -1600x(t) = a(t) so I have to multiply my velocity function by that constant right?

= 80ωsin(ωt - pi) = v(t)

because I(t) = .0084 v(t)

I(t) = 80ωsin(ωt - pi) * .0084

is my answer correct now? Also can you please tell me if what I stated (can't find ω with given info) is true??

Thanks for the help.

1. What is a slide generator/hookes law problem?

A slide generator/hookes law problem is a physics problem that involves the application of Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This type of problem often involves calculating the amount of force, displacement, or spring constant in a given scenario.

2. How do you solve a slide generator/hookes law problem?

To solve a slide generator/hookes law problem, you will need to identify the variables given in the problem, such as force, displacement, or spring constant. Then, you can use the formula F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement, to calculate the missing variable. You may also need to convert units or use other relevant equations depending on the specific problem.

3. What are some real-life applications of slide generator/hookes law problems?

Slide generator/hookes law problems have many real-life applications, such as in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. Hooke's law is also used in the development of various mechanical devices, such as car suspensions and shock absorbers, and in medical devices like prosthetics and orthodontic braces.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving slide generator/hookes law problems?

One common mistake when solving slide generator/hookes law problems is forgetting to convert units. It is essential to ensure that all units are consistent throughout the calculation. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or not properly identifying the given variables. It is crucial to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

5. Are there any limitations to Hooke's law?

Yes, there are limitations to Hooke's law. It only accurately describes the behavior of springs when they are within their elastic limit, meaning they return to their original shape after being stretched or compressed. Beyond this limit, the spring may permanently deform or break, and Hooke's law no longer applies. Additionally, Hooke's law is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as air resistance and friction, which may affect the accuracy of its predictions.