Slip stick motion and a glass harp (singing glasses)

In summary, slip stick motion in relation to a glass harp refers to the frictional force between two surfaces that causes them to alternately stick and slip, creating a jerky motion. The glass harp produces sound through the principle of vibration, created by rubbing a moistened finger along the rim of a glass. While any type of glass can be used, high-quality crystal glasses are preferred for their ability to produce clear and sustained tones. The glass harp was invented by Benjamin Franklin in 1761 and has been used in both classical and contemporary music, as well as in sound therapy and popular music.
fizzyfiz
Homework Statement
Hi! I am writing an IA in physics about singing glasses. I found an explenation for mechanism of producing sound that it is caused by slip-stick motion. I tried to search in google for more information about it but most of the authors seem to not know what they are writing about. Can you recommend me literature which will help me or explain to me the mechanism of slip-stick?
Relevant Equations
Is there any?
-

Physics news on Phys.org
Please link an article or two that you found but which you doubt the accuracy of.

1. What is slip stick motion?

Slip stick motion is a phenomenon where two surfaces in contact with each other experience a combination of static and kinetic friction, causing them to alternately stick and slip against each other. This can result in a jerky, stuttering motion.

2. How does a glass harp work?

A glass harp, also known as singing glasses, works by creating vibrations in the glasses when they are rubbed with a moistened finger. The vibrations produce sound waves that can be amplified and manipulated to create music.

3. Can any type of glass be used to make a glass harp?

Technically, any type of glass can be used to make a glass harp, but some types may produce better sound quality than others. Thicker, more uniform glasses tend to produce better and more consistent tones.

4. Is there a specific technique for playing a glass harp?

Yes, there are various techniques for playing a glass harp. Some musicians use a moistened finger to rub the glasses, while others may use a spinning motion or a mallet to create vibrations. Each technique can produce a different sound.

5. Are there any scientific applications for slip stick motion and glass harps?

Yes, slip stick motion has been studied in various fields, including materials science, physics, and engineering. Glass harps have also been used in scientific experiments to study the properties of sound waves and vibrations.