Slip test on salient pole machine

In summary, the voltmeter indicates varying voltage across the stator of the machine even though the voltage impressed across the stator is constant. It appears that the voltage impressed across the stator has some sort of regulation, though I don't understand how.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In slip test, we provide a constant 3 phase voltage across the stator of the machine. Then why does that voltage vary? Its like a variable inductor circuit due to different air gap length but basically if the voltage impressed is kept constant, why does the voltmeter show variation?
Is it like changing the core of the inductor at its steady state. What will happen if I inserted iron core in the inductor when it reaches the steady state in a dc circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my opinion, during the slip test the synchronous motor did not locked in that means it is an induction motor still.

The excited rotated poles induce an a.c. EMF in the stator of a frequency of (1-s)*netfrequency.s=[(60*p*f)-rpmrotor]/(60*p*f) [the slip]

p=number of pole pairs.f=network frequency.

Both voltages -network voltage and EMF- will present a common standing wave voltage [nodes and antinodes] that means the voltage has a minimum and a maximum with s*f frequency.

Babadag said:
In my opinion, during the slip test the synchronous motor did not locked in that means it is an induction motor still.

The excited rotated poles induce an a.c. EMF in the stator of a frequency of (1-s)*netfrequency.s=[(60*p*f)-rpmrotor]/(60*p*f) [the slip]

p=number of pole pairs.f=network frequency.

Both voltages -network voltage and EMF- will present a common standing wave voltage [nodes and antinodes] that means the voltage has a minimum and a maximum with s*f frequency.
The machine is an alternator, not a motor. For the test purpose, it is run as an IM. And the rotor is not at all excited in this test.

Can you clear up this apparent contradiction ?

cnh1995 said:
we provide a constant 3 phase voltage across the stator of the machine. Then why does that (same? )voltage vary?
So is voltage constant or did it vary?

cnh1995 said:
if the voltage impressed is kept constant, why does the voltmeter show variation?

What voltage is the voltmeter indicating ? Must be different from the constant one that's impressed.U nder constant impressed voltage a current meter would vary with pole position.
Go back to that simple one turn machine in an earlier thread.
Magnetic path for D & Q axes is not the same , air gap is different.

The voltage impressed across stator is constant but the meter reads fluctuatiting voltage. I don't know how that happens. The current too fluctuates which I can understand. I don't understand the voltage part.

cnh1995 said:
The voltage impressed across stator is constant but the meter reads fluctuatiting voltage. I don't know how that happens. The current too fluctuates which I can understand. I don't understand the voltage part.

Hmmm you still insist that voltage is both constant and not-constant.

Perhaps this has to do with your question in another thread about 'regulation'.

Regulation in a voltage source, be it a power supply or an alternator or transformer or even a battery , is the change in output voltage over its full range of load current.
A regulated supply with nominal rating of ten volts & one amp, that puts out 10.0 volts unloaded and 9.9 volts when loaded to 1 amp,
has regulation Δvolts/nominal volts = 0.1 volts/10 volts = 1% .
Sooooo
Whatever power source you used to impress "constant volts " across the stator has some regulation.. That is, its output voltage drops by some percentage as you draw current from it.
If the volts it impressed across your stator were actually constant your voltmeter would have reported that.
Did your stator source have a dial or switch with numbers that you set ? That just sets what it tries to make ,

I assume you used a low voltage AC source for this test because applying full stator volts to a synchronous machine with its field open circuited should destroy the field winding.

You apply low AC volts to the machine then observe impedance as the rotor poles move under the stator poles. Impedance changes because the air gap of a salient rotor machine is not constant like a round rotor one. Try using Z = observed volts/observed amps

You use the same technique to find open rotor bars in a squirrel cage machine. Apply low voltage (to just one phase if a 3ph machine) and slowly rotate the shaft by hand while watching the ammeter.
Because the squirrel cage is a short circuit, a fair amount of stator current will flow so that's why you use low voltage. A broken rotor bar passing under the stator poles will make the ammeter dip because it's not a shorted turn like the good bars are.
You may notice a broken rotor bar in a running motor that's loaded,
it'll make the ammeter 'dip' sharply at slip frequency

Likes cnh1995
actually ,voltage across armature is varied but supply voltage remains constant .
constant applied voltage -minimum impedance drop = armature terminal voltage ..
as in slip test current varies with respect to rotor position thus impedance drops are also not constant .
as a result armature terminal voltages are not fixed but these swings in voltage is so less because of low impedance drop in leads

kuldeep jain said:
in voltage is so less because of low impedance drop in leads
Right.
Back then, I was not aware of this impedance drop in the leads because it was not shown in the circuit diagram and our professor also didn't discuss it in the lecture.
I read a detailed explanation later in a reference book.
Thanks for your reply though!
And welcome to PF!:smile:

What is a slip test on salient pole machine?

A slip test on salient pole machine is a method of measuring the synchronous speed of a salient pole machine, which is a type of electric motor typically used in power generation. The test involves running the machine at no load and measuring the difference between the synchronous speed (the speed at which the rotor would rotate if there were no slip) and the actual speed of the rotor.

Why is a slip test performed on a salient pole machine?

A slip test is performed on a salient pole machine to determine its operating characteristics and to ensure that it is functioning properly. By measuring the slip, engineers can determine the efficiency of the machine and identify any potential issues that may need to be addressed.

What are the different types of slip tests that can be performed?

There are two main types of slip tests that can be performed on a salient pole machine: direct and indirect. A direct slip test involves physically measuring the rotor speed using a tachometer, while an indirect slip test involves using electrical measurements to calculate the slip.

What factors can affect the results of a slip test on a salient pole machine?

Several factors can affect the results of a slip test on a salient pole machine, including the load on the machine, the condition of the bearings, and the temperature of the machine. It is important to take these factors into consideration when performing a slip test to ensure accurate results.

How often should a slip test be performed on a salient pole machine?

The frequency of slip tests on a salient pole machine will depend on the specific machine and its usage. In general, it is recommended to perform a slip test during routine maintenance or if any issues are suspected. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and testing to ensure the machine is functioning properly.