Small oscillations and a time dependent electric field

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the individual positions of particles in a system with a time-dependent potential and masses. The most important equation is |V - w2*M| = 0, which is an eigenvalue equation used to find eigenfrequencies and normal modes. However, since the problem is asking for individual positions, this approach may not be helpful. Another equation to consider is E = -grad(V), which relates to the electric potential and energy. The best approach would be to use Newton's equations for each particle, taking into account the fact that the net external force on the system is zero. This suggests that the center of mass does not move, providing an additional equation to solve for the positions.
Shivy G

Homework Statement

[/B]
Here's the problem from the homework. I've called the initial positions in order as 0, l, and 2l.
upload_2017-10-17_17-29-18.png

Homework Equations

The most important equation here would have to be
|V - w2*M| = 0,
where V is the matrix detailing the potential of the system and M as the "masses" of the system. This eigenvalue equation would normally be solved after getting a V and M to find the eigenfrequencies, and the normal modes from there. However, this problem is asking for the individual positions, so I'm guessing normal modes isn't the way to go unless we are to parse out the equations for the individual positions from the normal modes.

Another equation is E = -grad(V), since we could get the electric potential from our electric field and from that, the electrical potential energy depending on the position of the particles.

However, I don't feel like the eigenvalue equation will help much since the potential is time dependent. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My first attempt was to just write out the potential based on the springs and the electric field. However, I realized the issue with this method is that the time dependence of the electric field will complicate things, and I'll get the normal modes instead of the individual positions.

My next attempt was to write out Newton's equations for each of the individual particles, but these equations turned out to be too complicated to solve in a straightforward manner.

I'm wondering what the best way to proceed on this question would be given an understanding of small oscillations (this is a problem from a PSET on small oscillations). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For this particular problem, I would recommend going with the equations of motion (Newton's equations).

What can you say about the net external force acting on the system? How can this observation help with solving the equations of motion?

The net external force on the system should be zero since the individual forces of the charges due to the electric field cancel (the net charge is 0). This implies the center of mass doesn't move, which would give us another equation for the positions that we could make use of.

Shivy G said:
The net external force on the system should be zero since the individual forces of the charges due to the electric field cancel (the net charge is 0). This implies the center of mass doesn't move, which would give us another equation for the positions that we could make use of.
Yes, good.

Awesome! I'll give it a shot.

1. What are small oscillations?

Small oscillations refer to the periodic motion of a system around its equilibrium or rest position. This type of motion is characterized by a small amplitude and a constant frequency.

2. How are small oscillations affected by a time dependent electric field?

A time dependent electric field can cause small oscillations to become non-linear and produce complex motion patterns. This is because the electric field can alter the equilibrium position of the system, leading to changes in the restoring force and thus affecting the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations.

3. What is the relationship between small oscillations and the frequency of the time dependent electric field?

The frequency of small oscillations is directly related to the frequency of the time dependent electric field. As the frequency of the electric field changes, so does the frequency of the oscillations. This relationship is known as resonance and can lead to large amplitude oscillations.

4. Can small oscillations and a time dependent electric field be described mathematically?

Yes, small oscillations and a time dependent electric field can be described mathematically using differential equations. These equations take into account the restoring force, the electric field, and other relevant parameters to predict the behavior of the system.

5. Are small oscillations and a time dependent electric field important in real-world applications?

Yes, small oscillations and a time dependent electric field have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. For example, they are used in electronic devices, optics, and chemical reactions. Understanding and controlling these oscillations is crucial for many technological advancements.