Small trig substitution problem.

In summary, the student was struggling with a problem involving Green's Theorem and a peculiar trig substitution. After trying various methods, they were able to solve the problem by factoring out sin^2(t)cos^2(t) and using the identity sin^2(t) + cos^2(t) = 1.
ozone

Homework Statement

I was working on a problem set involving greens theorem and I came across this peculiar trig substitution. I was just wondering how it came about as I couldn't find anything like it on Wikipedia's page.

[itex] sin^4(t)cos^2(t) + cos^4(t) sin^2(t) = cos^2(t)sin^2(t) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the basic's such as [itex] (cos^2(t))^2 = (1 - sin^2(t))^2 [/itex]

along with [itex] (sin^2(t))^2 = (1 - cos^2(t))^2[/itex]

which after some substitution gives

[itex] cos^6(t) - cos^4(t) + sin^2(t)cos^2(t) + sin^6(t) - sin^4(t) + sin^2(t)cos^2(t) [/itex]

Which is close to what I wanted, but I started to get the feeling that the path I was going down wasn't going to yield my identity. Can anyone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ozone! :smile:

Did you try the simpler idea of taking [tex]sin^2t\cdot cos^2t[/tex] out common? :wink:
Edit : Arrgh! multi-post :frown:
Mod note: not any more...

Last edited by a moderator:
ozone said:

Homework Statement

I was working on a problem set involving greens theorem and I came across this peculiar trig substitution. I was just wondering how it came about as I couldn't find anything like it on Wikipedia's page.

[itex] sin^4(t)cos^2(t) + cos^4(t) sin^2(t) = cos^2(t)sin^2(t) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the basic's such as [itex] (cos^2(t))^2 = (1 - sin^2(t))^2 [/itex]

along with [itex] (sin^2(t))^2 = (1 - cos^2(t))^2[/itex]

which after some substitution gives

[itex] cos^6(t) - cos^4(t) + sin^2(t)cos^2(t) + sin^6(t) - sin^4(t) + sin^2(t)cos^2(t) [/itex]

Which is close to what I wanted, but I started to get the feeling that the path I was going down wasn't going to yield my identity. Can anyone shed some light?
How about:

[itex] \sin^4(t)\cos^2(t) + \cos^4(t) \sin^2(t) = \cos^2(t)\sin^2(t)\left(\sin^2(t)+\cos^2(t)\right) \ ?[/itex]

Thanks sammy's that is definitely sufficient proof for me. DOH that was an easy one =d

edit: thanks infinitum too you would have pointed me in the right direction

ozone said:
Thanks sammy's that is definitely sufficient proof for me. DOH that was an easy one =d

edit: thanks infinitum too you would have pointed me in the right direction

Err, what SammyS and I said are exactly the same thing. I preferred not to elaborate :smile:

Infinitum said:
Hi ozone! :smile:

Did you try the simpler idea of taking [tex]sin^2t\cdot cos^2t[/tex] out common? :wink:

Edit : Arrgh! multi-post :frown:

I second that motion. Always factor factor FACTOR !

Related to Small trig substitution problem.

1. What is a small trig substitution problem?

A small trig substitution problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves using trigonometric identities and substitutions to solve integrals or equations. It is called "small" because it typically involves only one or two trigonometric functions, as opposed to more complex problems that may involve multiple trigonometric functions.

2. How do I know when to use a trig substitution?

You can use a trig substitution when you have an integral or equation that involves a radical expression (such as √(a^2-x^2) or √(a^2+x^2)), and you can rewrite the expression in terms of a trigonometric function. This is typically done by using a trigonometric identity, such as sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1, to simplify the expression.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in small trig substitution problems?

Some common trigonometric identities used in small trig substitution problems include:

• sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1
  • tan^2(x)+1=sec^2(x)
  • 1+cot^2(x)=csc^2(x)
These identities can help simplify expressions and make them easier to integrate or solve.

4. Can I use a small trig substitution for any integral or equation?

No, a small trig substitution can only be used for specific types of integrals and equations. It is important to identify when a trig substitution is applicable and when other methods may be more appropriate.

5. Are there any tips for solving small trig substitution problems?

One tip is to always check your answer by differentiating it. Another tip is to be familiar with common trigonometric identities and their derivatives, as they can help simplify the problem. It is also important to carefully choose the substitution variable and to make sure it covers the entire range of values for the integral or equation.