Smolyak reduced grid for three dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses a stochastic optimization problem with three sources of uncertainty and the use of generalized polynomial chaos and Smolyak reduced grid to solve it. The level being worked with is 1 and there are 27 realizations to make. The sources being used are two articles. The problem involves finding the points and weights using a specific formula, and calculating the mean of the process using the realizations and their weights. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the expected number of realizations and the actual number used. The speaker is seeking help to identify the mistake in their approach.
Frank Einstein
Hello everyone. I am dealing with a stochastic optimization problem with three sources of uncertainty and I am using generalized polynomial chaos to solve this problem. The level with I am working is 1 (l=1). There are 3^3=27 realizations to make. I want to use instead a Smolyak reduced grid since in the future I will have to deal with more dimensions. My sources are the following: https://web.stanford.edu/~paulcon/slides/Oxford_2012.pdf and https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999116301516.

My problem is as follows: The material says that the points which should be used and their weight can be described the following way:

(LaTex notation)
$A(l, d)= \sum_{l+1 \leq |i| \leq l+1} (-1)^{l+d-|i|} {d-1 \choose l+d-|i|}(U^{i_1} \otimes ... \otimes U^{i_d})

(Regular notation)
(l+1≤|i|≤l+d) (-1)(l+d-|i|) (d-1 l+d-|i|)(Ui1⊗...⊗Uid)

Where d is the number of random variables, 3, l is the level, 1, |i| is the graded lexicographic order, (Ui1⊗...⊗Uid) are the tensor product of the nodes for each dimension and (d-1 l+d-|i|) is a binomial coefficient.

Also, μ=f(ξ(1)ξ(2))°(ω), which means that the mean of the process is equal to the sum of all the realizations multiplied by their weight.

Then, if l+1=2 and l+d =4, I should add all the terms which are listed in the lexicographic matrix with |i|=2, 3 and 4. However, since the terms which have a zero as one of the index don't have nodes, these are discarted, leaving me with (1 1 1), (2 1 1) and (1 1 2), which in total produce 7 realizations. However, if I use these realizations, my mean looks signifficantly different from the realizations as can be seen in the figure.

For what I have read, the amount of realizations that should be used is way higher than 7; however, I cannot find where my mistake is.

Any answer is appreciaded.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the setup, but for the tensor product we have ##u\otimes v = \lambda u \otimes \frac{1}{\lambda} v## and therefore many possible variations of the same tensor; plus possible symmetries of order.

1. What is the Smolyak reduced grid for three dimensions?

The Smolyak reduced grid for three dimensions is a numerical integration technique used to approximate multidimensional integrals. It was developed by Russian mathematician Yuri Smolyak in the 1960s and is based on the concept of sparse grids.

2. How does the Smolyak reduced grid work?

The Smolyak reduced grid works by selecting a specific set of points in the multidimensional space and using them to approximate the integral. These points are carefully chosen to minimize the error in the approximation, resulting in a more accurate and efficient calculation compared to traditional numerical integration methods.

3. What are the advantages of using the Smolyak reduced grid?

One of the main advantages of using the Smolyak reduced grid is its ability to handle high-dimensional integrals efficiently. It also has a faster convergence rate compared to other numerical integration techniques, making it a popular choice for scientific and engineering applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Smolyak reduced grid?

While the Smolyak reduced grid is a powerful integration method, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for integrals with rapidly varying functions or those with singularities. Additionally, it requires careful selection of the grid points, which can be time-consuming for higher dimensions.

5. How can I implement the Smolyak reduced grid in my research or work?

The Smolyak reduced grid can be implemented using various software packages, such as MATLAB, Python, or R. These packages often have built-in functions for calculating multidimensional integrals using the Smolyak method. Alternatively, you can also code the algorithm yourself using the mathematical equations and guidelines provided by Smolyak's original paper.