Symmetric/Alternating k-linear functions, Wedge Product

In summary: Yes, the calculation for $f \wedge g$ may seem long because there are 24 possible $\sigma$'s. However, we can simplify this by noticing that $\sigma f$ and $\sigma g$ are linear functions and thus $A(\sigma f \otimes \sigma g) = A(f \otimes g)$ for all $\sigma \in S_2$. Therefore, we only need to consider the 6 unique $\sigma$'s, which are $(1,2), (2,1), (1,1), (2,2), (1,1,1,1), (2,2,2,2)$. This reduces the calculation to 6 terms instead of
joypav
I am working through Tu's "An Introduction to Manifolds" and am trying to get an understanding of things with some simple examples. The definitions usually seem simple and understandable, but I want to make sure I can use them for an actual function.

I've worked a few problems below that my professor suggested and just want to check that I am getting it right.

If $f(x,y) = 2x + 3y$, find $Af$ and $Sf$, (the alternating and symmetric k-linear function).
I'm given,
$Sf = \sum_{\sigma \in S_k} \sigma f$
and
$Af = \sum_{\sigma \in S_k} (sgn \sigma) \sigma f$
Solution:
$Sf = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} \sigma f = (2x+3y)+(2y+3x) = 5x + 5y$
Seems reasonable, as $\sigma f = f$ for any $\sigma$.
$Af = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} (sgn \sigma) \sigma f = (1)(2x + 3y)+(-1)(2y+3x)=-x+y$
Also seems reasonable, as $\sigma f = (sgn \sigma)f$ for any $\sigma$.

If $g(x,y)=x+y$, show $Ag=0$ and $Sg=g$.
Solution:
$Sg = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} \sigma g = (x+y)+(y+x)=2x+2y$
Though I am supposed to show that $Sg=g$. Why does it? Of course $g$ is already symmetric, but doesn't the definition for $Sg$ give $2x+2y$? Which is also symmetric.
$Ag = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} (sgn \sigma) \sigma g = (1)(x+y)+(-1)(y+x)=0$

If $f(x,y)=2x+3y$ and $g(x,y)=4x+5y$, find $f \otimes g$ and $f \wedge g$.
I am given, (for f k-linear and g l-linear)
$( f \otimes g )(v_1, ..., v_{k+l})= f(v_1,..., v_k)\cdot g(v_{k+1},..., v_{k+l})$
and
$f \wedge g = \frac{1}{k!l!}A(f \otimes g)$
Solution:
$( f \otimes g )(x, y, a, b) = (2x+3y)(4a+5b)=8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb$

$f \wedge g = \frac{1}{2!2!}A(8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb)$
I am unsure about both of these. If that's right, then next I'd find the alternating 4-linear function that comes from $8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb$.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi joypav,
joypav said:
If $f(x,y) = 2x + 3y$, find $Af$ and $Sf$, (the alternating and symmetric k-linear function).
I'm given,
$Sf = \sum_{\sigma \in S_k} \sigma f$
and
$Af = \sum_{\sigma \in S_k} (sgn \sigma) \sigma f$
Solution:
$Sf = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} \sigma f = (2x+3y)+(2y+3x) = 5x + 5y$
Seems reasonable, as $\sigma f = f$ for any $\sigma$.
$Af = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} (sgn \sigma) \sigma f = (1)(2x + 3y)+(-1)(2y+3x)=-x+y$
Also seems reasonable, as $\sigma f = (sgn \sigma)f$ for any $\sigma$.

Your calculation for $Sf$ is correct. However, it is not true that $\sigma f= f$ for any $\sigma$; i.e., $f$ is not symmetric. Can you see why?

joypav said:
If $g(x,y)=x+y$, show $Ag=0$ and $Sg=g$.
Solution:
$Sg = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} \sigma g = (x+y)+(y+x)=2x+2y$
Though I am supposed to show that $Sg=g$. Why does it? Of course $g$ is already symmetric, but doesn't the definition for $Sg$ give $2x+2y$? Which is also symmetric.
$Ag = \sum_{\sigma \in S_2} (sgn \sigma) \sigma g = (1)(x+y)+(-1)(y+x)=0$

Your calculations are correct here. There must have been a typo in the problem statement given to you by your professor. As you noted, $g$ is symmetric, so $\sigma g=g$ for all $\sigma\in S_{2}$. Hence $Sg = 2g.$

joypav said:
If $f(x,y)=2x+3y$ and $g(x,y)=4x+5y$, find $f \otimes g$ and $f \wedge g$.
I am given, (for f k-linear and g l-linear)
$( f \otimes g )(v_1, ..., v_{k+l})= f(v_1,..., v_k)\cdot g(v_{k+1},..., v_{k+l})$
and
$f \wedge g = \frac{1}{k!l!}A(f \otimes g)$
Solution:
$( f \otimes g )(x, y, a, b) = (2x+3y)(4a+5b)=8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb$

$f \wedge g = \frac{1}{2!2!}A(8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb)$
I am unsure about both of these. If that's right, then next I'd find the alternating 4-linear function that comes from $8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb$.

This looks good so far. As you said, calculating $f \wedge g = \frac{1}{2!2!}A(8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb)$ still remains.

Last edited:
GJA said:
Your calculation for $Sf$ is correct. However, it is not true that $\sigma f= f$ for any $\sigma$; i.e., $f$ is not symmetric. Can you see why?
Of course, yes. Mistake on my part.. I meant my calculation for $Sf$ made sense as $\sigma Sf = Sf, \forall \sigma$.
GJA said:
This looks good so far. As you said, calculating $f \wedge g = \frac{1}{2!2!}A(8xa+10xb+12ya+15yb)$ still remains.
Okay, great.
Is this calculation as long as it seems? Aren't there 24 possible $\sigma$'s?

1. What is a symmetric k-linear function?

A symmetric k-linear function is a function that takes in k vectors and returns a scalar value. It is symmetric because the order of the vectors does not affect the output of the function.

2. What is an alternating k-linear function?

An alternating k-linear function is a function that takes in k vectors and returns a scalar value. It is alternating because the sign of the output changes when the order of the vectors is switched.

3. What is the Wedge Product?

The Wedge Product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol ∧ and is used in the context of symmetric and alternating k-linear functions.

4. How is the Wedge Product used in symmetric and alternating k-linear functions?

The Wedge Product is used to define the properties of symmetric and alternating k-linear functions. For symmetric functions, the Wedge Product is commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does not matter. For alternating functions, the Wedge Product is anti-commutative, meaning that the sign of the output changes when the order of the vectors is switched.

5. What are some applications of symmetric and alternating k-linear functions?

Symmetric and alternating k-linear functions are commonly used in differential geometry, where they are used to study the properties of manifolds and vector fields. They are also used in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics.