Smooth function's set of critical values

In summary, the goal is to show that for every critical point x, y there exists a number y such that |f'(x) - f(y)| = 0. To do this, we show that C can be covered by a set of intervals on which |f'(x)|<e for any e>0. This suggests that the set of critical values has measure zero.
EbolaPox

Homework Statement

Assume that [tex] f:[a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex] is continuously differentiable. A critical point of f is an x such that [tex] f'(x) = 0 [/tex]. A critical value is a number y such that for at least one critical point x, y = f(x). Prove that the set of critical values is a zero set.

Homework Equations

A set Z is said to be a zero set if for each [itex] \epsilon [/itex] there is a countable covering of Z by open intervals [tex] (a_i , b_i) [/tex] such that [itex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty} b_i - a_i \leq \epsilon [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure really where to start with this one. Normally when I start a problem, I always check to make sure that it intuitively makes sense. If we let C be the set of critical points, then the goal is to show f(C) has measure zero, but I really don't see how to approach this problem. I don't really see how to use the fact that the derivative is continuous. I'd love a hint in the right direction to start or something, as this has me pretty baffled. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try showing that C can be covered by a set of intervals on which |f'(x)|<e for any e>0 for x in any of those intervals. Now if [c,d] is one of those intervals what can you say about |f(x)-f(y)| for x and y in [c,d]? Think mean value theorem. So what can you say about the measure of f([c,d])? Now what happens as you take e->0?

Ah! That makes perfect sense! For each e>0 we know the set of points such that |F '(x)| < e , contains our set C. Let [c,d] be a subset of the aforementioned set. Now, if we let x, y, be points in [c,d], we know by the MVT [tex] | f(x) - f(y)| = |f'(a) (x - y)| < \epsilon |(x-y)| [/tex] (for some a in (x,y) Since [itex] \epsilon [/itex] was arbitrary, we see this goes to zero. This shows that the distance |f(x) - f(y)| is arbitrarily small. So, now for each interval [f(x), f(y)] has a length given by the above inequality, which should go to zero as epsilon can be made arbitrarily small. So, we can make each critical value be contained in an arbitrarily small interval, which suggests that the set of critical values has measure zero.

Is that the right reasoning? Thank you so much for your help! This problem was driving me crazy, and I was approaching it previously in a far more complicated manner.

Almost. |f(x)-f(y)|<e*|x-y| probably isn't quite enough. But |f(x)-f(y)|<e*|d-c| or even |f(x)-f(y)|<e*|b-a| would do it. You want to bound the distance by a constant that doesn't depend on x and y. Do you see why? But those are trivial to prove. So yes, I think you've got it.

Since we know |f(x) - f(y)| < e|x-y| and we know x,y are in [c,d] we can then state that |x-y| < |c-d| giving us |f(x) - f(y)| < e|c-d| which doesn't depend on the variables x or y, which makes sense we'd want to bound it with a constant, not by some variable distance. This problem makes a whole lot of sense now and wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I was making it! Thanks for the help.

Related to Smooth function's set of critical values

1. What is a smooth function?

A smooth function is a mathematical function that is continuous and has derivatives of all orders. This means that the function is well-behaved and has no abrupt changes or corners.

2. What is the set of critical values for a smooth function?

The set of critical values for a smooth function is the set of input values that result in a zero output or a undefined output due to a singularity or asymptote. These values are important for determining the behavior and features of the function.

3. How do you find the critical values of a smooth function?

The critical values of a smooth function can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. Solving for the input values that make the derivative zero will give the critical values.

4. Why are critical values important in analyzing smooth functions?

Critical values play a crucial role in determining the behavior and features of a smooth function. They can help identify maximum and minimum points, points of inflection, and the range of the function. They also provide information about the local and global behavior of the function.

5. Can a smooth function have an infinite number of critical values?

Yes, a smooth function can have an infinite number of critical values. This can occur when the function has multiple points where the derivative is equal to zero, or when there are multiple singularities or asymptotes in the function.