Smoother EWMA that mean-reverts

• I
  • Thread starter cppIStough
  • Start date
cppIStough
EWMA (exponential weighted moving average) is one way to estimate variance of time series data, and is pretty well known. The issue I have with EWMA is the maximums aren't smooth, especially when recovering from a time-series large spike, and it can take a little while to recover to pre-spike levels. I'm wondering if you know of (or are creative enough to come up with it yourself) a smoother EWMA that reverts to previous-spike levels quicker.

Let me know if I'm not clear, and thanks again for your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might consider a fixed-time moving average. The data of Covid-19 deaths is a good example. That data is often presented with 3-day and 7-day moving average options. The 7-day MA has an advantage of always including one weekend, when reporting is always low, and a Monday/Tuesday, when the reports catch up for the weekend (either this weekend or the prior weekend). The advantage is that it greatly smooths out the daily average numbers and suppresses the weekly cycles. The disadvantage is that any spike or variation is watered down by the surrounding 6 days.

Alternatively, you could use your own weights.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
Covid was an interesting example @FactChecker mentioned. It shows the questions I had (and didn't post as they missed rigor until I saw the Covid example).

What is a spike, a potential data error (random), or a system immanent error (repeated) as in the Covid case? Is there a specific point above which you call data a spike? The word spike has a connotation of something you see in the data, not of something you measure. You first have to make it measurable in order to deal with it.

Likes FactChecker
fresh_42 said:
Covid was an interesting example @FactChecker mentioned. It shows the questions I had (and didn't post as they missed rigor until I saw the Covid example).

What is a spike, a potential data error (random), or a system immanent error (repeated) as in the Covid case? Is there a specific point above which you call data a spike? The word spike has a connotation of something you see in the data, not of something you measure. You first have to make it measurable in order to deal with it.
Those are the big questions: What do you measure, how do you measure it? Maybe too many only deal with technical aspects but don't dwell on such important questions.

Likes FactChecker

What is an EWMA and how does it relate to mean-reversion?

EWMA stands for Exponentially Weighted Moving Average, a type of moving average that gives more weight to recent data points, making it more responsive to new information. In the context of mean-reversion, a smoother EWMA is used to estimate the mean to which a process is expected to revert. This is particularly useful in financial markets where it's assumed that prices will revert to an average level over time.

How can smoothing be applied to EWMA for better mean-reversion analysis?

Smoothing an EWMA involves adjusting the decay factor, often denoted as λ (lambda), which determines how quickly older data is discounted. A smaller λ results in a smoother average because it gives more significance to older data, reducing the impact of short-term fluctuations and highlighting longer-term trends that indicate mean-reversion behavior.

What are the benefits of using a smoother EWMA in financial modeling?

Using a smoother EWMA in financial modeling helps in reducing noise and identifying true underlying trends in the data. This is crucial in volatile markets where short-term fluctuations can lead to misleading interpretations. A smoother EWMA helps in predicting long-term mean-reverting levels, which is valuable for risk management and optimal trading strategy development.

How do you determine the optimal smoothing parameter for a mean-reverting EWMA?

The optimal smoothing parameter for a mean-reverting EWMA can be determined through backtesting, where different λ values are tested against historical data to see which provides the best balance between responsiveness and smoothness. This often involves a trade-off: too high a λ might make the model too sensitive to recent changes, while too low a λ might make it too slow to respond to genuine market shifts.

Can smoother EWMA be applied to non-financial data for mean-reversion analysis?

Yes, smoother EWMA can be applied to any type of data where mean-reversion is expected, not just financial data. This includes fields like meteorology, electricity consumption, and inventory management, where variables often tend to revert to a long-term mean. The key is to correctly specify the mean and the rate of reversion, which can vary significantly across different types of data.