Snake instability and vortex pair

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark solitons and their instability, specifically the snake instability. The paper mentioned, "Svortices and the fundamental modes of the “snake instability”: Possibility of observation in the gaseous Bose–Einstein Condensate" by J. Brand, addresses the transverse modulational instability of soliton stripes. However, the conversation participants bring up doubts and confusion about the paper's explanation of the snake instability and suggest referring to other sources on solitons. The paper "The Snake Instability of Dark Soliton Stripes" by F. Kh. Abdullaev is mentioned as a reference for understanding the concept better. The conversation ends with a question about the positive eigen
Pring
Dark soliton is a general phynomenon in broad physics subjects. In higher dimensions, dark soliton exhibits instable except one special kind as vortex. The fundamental instability of a single dark soliton in two dimensions is to eventually decay into a number of quantized vortics through what is called the snake instability. The problem is that: what the snake instability exactly means? Someone say when the soliton in one dimension going to second dimension, due to the phase change, the dark soliton will be bend, if the curvature is large enough, the dark soliton will be split into vortex-antivortex pair. I don't know how phase change plays a role?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the abstract of Svortices and the fundamental modes of the “snake instability”: Possibility of observation in the gaseous Bose–Einstein Condensate, article of J. Brand: ... where soliton stripes are subject to a transverse modulational instability known as the "snake instability".

soarce said:
From the abstract of Svortices and the fundamental modes of the “snake instability”: Possibility of observation in the gaseous Bose–Einstein Condensate, article of J. Brand: ... where soliton stripes are subject to a transverse modulational instability known as the "snake instability".
Thank your, I am reading the paper which you have mentioned, but I think the transverse modulational instability is not clear enough in physic.

We are talking about solitons. Before anything else maybe you should reffer to Kivshar's book Optical Solitons: From fibers to photonic crystalls section 9.7 Transverse modulation instability.LE: The section 9.7 addresses the vector solitons, maybe is not what your were looking for.

LE2: I think that you should try to read some standard book/material on solitons which deals with the instabilities. When you have any doubt you can bring into discussion the referrence which you study.

Last edited:
I found this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1004.3060.pdf where they study how to suppress the instability of dark soliton stripes, one can see some snakes in their pictures :)
I hope it helps.

Thank you for your detailed suggestion. The paper confused me is added underlying. Instability part is read past, maybe I should read it again.:D

Attachments

• +1.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 427
I had a quick look at the paper you posted. Indeed, it can be misleading when they speak of snake instability. I think that, generally, snake instability is releated mainly with long wavelength perturbation modes which they suppress in they set-up by adjusting the scattering length g. Probably, the "snake perturbation" of more complex soliton structures doesn't have an intuitive behaviour or visual interpretation, e.g. curves the soliton stripe and turns it into a "snake".

The structures they study in this article seems to me to be more like quadrupole or multipole solitons, in figure 1 the dark blue background stands for zero or for non-zero value? If it is zero then it is improper to speak of dark solitons, they would have bright solitons. Then they perform standard linear stability analysis and found that beside the snake instability there exists other one(s). This result is of no surprize, the multipole soliton structures are highly unstable.

soarce said:
I found this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1004.3060.pdf where they study how to suppress the instability of dark soliton stripes, one can see some snakes in their pictures :)
I hope it helps.
Thank you. In this paper, why the eigenvalue of L should be positive in the formula (A10)?

In this case the operator ##L## is hermitian (diagonal form with real numbers) and its eigenvalues are real, where did they say that the eigenvalues are positive? It may have all eigenvalues positive and this implies that all perturbation modes are either growing or suppressed (depending on the sign convention in the paper), or oscillatory (depending on the real and imaginary part convention of the eigenvalue of the linear perturbation mode), I need to check the derivation of their equations.

1. What is snake instability and vortex pair?

Snake instability and vortex pair is a phenomenon that occurs in fluid dynamics, specifically in the flow of viscous fluids. It is characterized by the formation of a pair of vortices or swirls in the fluid flow, which resemble the shape of a snake. This instability is caused by the interaction between the fluid's viscosity and the surrounding flow field, and it is commonly observed in nature and in engineering applications.

2. How does snake instability and vortex pair affect fluid flow?

Snake instability and vortex pair can significantly alter the behavior of fluid flow. The vortices formed can induce turbulence and alter the pressure distribution in the fluid, leading to changes in the overall flow pattern. This can have both positive and negative effects, depending on the specific application. For example, it can enhance mixing in certain scenarios, but it can also cause unwanted drag and energy losses.

3. What factors influence the occurrence of snake instability and vortex pair?

The occurrence of snake instability and vortex pair is influenced by several factors, such as the fluid's viscosity, flow velocity, and geometry of the flow field. Higher viscosities and slower flow velocities increase the likelihood of this phenomenon. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or changes in the flow direction can also promote the formation of vortices.

4. Can snake instability and vortex pair be controlled or eliminated?

Yes, snake instability and vortex pair can be controlled or eliminated through various methods. One approach is to modify the flow conditions, such as reducing the fluid's viscosity or increasing the flow velocity, to decrease the likelihood of vortex formation. Another method is to introduce flow control devices, such as vortex generators, to manipulate the flow and suppress the formation of vortices.

5. What are the practical applications of snake instability and vortex pair?

Snake instability and vortex pair have various practical applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering. In some cases, this phenomenon can be harnessed to improve mixing and heat transfer in fluids. It can also be utilized in flow control devices to enhance the performance of airfoils and reduce drag in aircraft and wind turbine blades. However, it can also have negative effects, such as causing instability and damage to structures in fluid flows.