So do you think using modern physics creates new areas in mathematics?

In summary, Kaku is a smart physicist, but Feynman is the real deal. His physical intuition is in the high genius range, but he is also a brilliant teacher and communicator.
Pendulum Swing
Hello people,

I just joined the physics forum and it's great to see that they're other physics enthusiasts on the internet!

The reason why modern physics is appreciable for me is that it creates new areas in mathematics like this for example brought up from Michio Kaku... "String theory exists in 10 and 11 dimensional hyperspace. Not only that, but these dimensions are super. They're super symmetric. A new kind of numbers that mathematicians never talked about evolved within string theory. That's how we call it "super string theory." Well, the mathematicians were floored. They were shocked because all of a sudden out of physics came new mathematics, super numbers, super topology, super differential geometry.

What Michio Kaku stated really got me interested in physics. In the near future I'd like combine it with Engineering (when I transfer to it) as a dual degree or double degree at Monash University (Clayton Campus).

Anyways Nice to meet you all :).

Also discuss/argue about this!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that this is limited to modern physics. Calculus came about largely in order to solve physics problems.

Yes, I don't think it's very wrong of me to say that physics has always been the number one inspiration of mathematics. Probably 95% of the math I know can eventually be traced back to something in physics.

That said, I think you'll find that there aren't many fans of Michio Kaku on this forum :tongue: Why don't you check out Feynman instead of Kaku. Kaku pales in comparison :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgaw9qe7DEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZMXWmlp9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI

And then of course his brilliant Feynman lectures.

Likes 1 person
DaleSpam said:
I don't think that this is limited to modern physics. Calculus came about largely in order to solve physics problems.

My bad I didn't worded it to properly just got to excited. I think calculus was invented by Isaac Newton to find out the gravity problem and he had the physical application in mind but the mathematics behind it was missing. I think it had been mentioned that physics and maths were once born together.

micromass said:
Yes, I don't think it's very wrong of me to say that physics has always been the number one inspiration of mathematics. Probably 95% of the math I know can eventually be traced back to something in physics.

That said, I think you'll find that there aren't many fans of Michio Kaku on this forum :tongue: Why don't you check out Feynman instead of Kaku. Kaku pales in comparison :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgaw9qe7DEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZMXWmlp9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI

And then of course his brilliant Feynman lectures

Alright will check him out now. Never heard of him and I'm new to this physics game.

Thanks man :)

Last edited:
Pendulum Swing said:
Alright will check him out now. Never heard of him and I'm new to this physics game.

Kaku might be a smart physicist (he certainly knows his stuff), but Feynman is the real deal! His physical intuition is in the high genius range. But unlike many other genius physicists, he is also a brilliant teacher and communicator. And there are also tons of funny anecdotes of situations involving him, some of which do sound quite farfetched...

Dear friends I want to mension three great Genius persons among many equally Genius
1. Ramanujan who developed super mathematics without its demand in Physics at that time around 1920.Later it might be directly or indirectly used for Physics(e.g.,crystellography and string theory)
2.Before Einstein's application of Geometry to his theory,this Geometry was purely Mathematics.
3.Gregori Perelmans astounding sulutions given toPoincare's problem posed in 1904.Now it may be used to explain intrcacies of universe.

I understand that mathematics is a language to explain any thing in the physical universe and may be in the thought universe(probably non physical! Because we know There are Laws of THOUGHT,BOOLEAN ALGEBRA...)
THIS Langauge can continue to grow with logic irrespective of its application anywhere.
Your thinking is rigght that due to demand in Physics new mathematics is developed but that is not all.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between modern physics and mathematics?

Modern physics and mathematics have a close relationship, as modern physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and theories to explain and describe natural phenomena. In many cases, modern physics has also led to the development of new mathematical theories and techniques.

2. How does modern physics contribute to the development of new areas in mathematics?

Modern physics often requires complex mathematical models and equations to describe and understand natural phenomena. This has led to the development of new areas in mathematics, such as quantum mechanics, chaos theory, and fractal geometry.

3. Can you give an example of how modern physics has influenced mathematics?

One example is the development of calculus, which was originally created to solve problems in physics. The concepts of calculus were later applied to other areas of mathematics, resulting in the development of new branches such as differential equations and analysis.

4. Are there any specific fields of mathematics that have been created through the use of modern physics?

Yes, there are several fields of mathematics that have emerged from the study of modern physics. These include quantum field theory, symplectic geometry, and non-commutative geometry, among others.

5. How does the collaboration between physicists and mathematicians benefit both fields?

The collaboration between physicists and mathematicians allows for a better understanding of natural phenomena and the development of more accurate and efficient mathematical models. This, in turn, leads to advancements in both fields and opens up new areas of research and discovery.