So I have three weeks to learn about protein dynamics

In summary, the conversation is about an individual who has received a research position studying amyloidogenic proteins and will be using a NovoControl Dielectric Spectrometer to gather data. They have a strong background in mathematics and physics but are lacking in chemistry and biology, making it difficult to understand the literature and protein dynamics. They are looking for recommended resources and tips to better understand the bio-chemical side of the proteins. Some recommendations include Finkelstein's Protein Physics and Molecular Driving Forces by Ken Dill, as well as an introductory biochemistry textbook like Lehninger. Additionally, an old review article is suggested for an introduction to the field of protein dynamics.
Bhon Bunnag
Hello there,

Situation
I got a research position at my university in studying amyloidogenic proteins, which are associated with many different neuro-degenerative diseases. The professor has a NovoControl Dielectric Spectrometer in the lab, which will be the main equipment used to gather data. I have roughly three weeks before I begin.

Background
I have a good understanding of mathematics and physics background, but only up to the undergraduate sophomore level. On the other hand, I have a high-school level background in chemistry, and a very weak background in biology. This makes it difficult to understand the literature, especially those related to protein dynamics. I also have a mediocre understanding of the theory behind the dielectric spectrometer itself.As of right now, I am looking into Finkelstein's Protein Physics, A Course of Lectures and lots of papers online. I was wondering if there are some other resources recommended for the introductory-level students. Also, maybe some tips in understanding the bio-chemical side of the proteins.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on getting an undergraduate research position. Usually, most a lot of training will be hands on and your advisor and/or supervising grad student or postdoc should be able to recommend reading relevant to your project. For more general background, I would suggest an introductory biochemistry textbook like Lehninger. Molecular Driving Forces by Ken Dill is another good reference though it is much more advanced (though probably suitable for someone like you with a strong chemistry/physics background).

Here's an old but pretty good review article that gives a nice introduction into the field of protein dynamics: https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v450/n7172/full/nature06522.html

I'll look into the article and that textbook. Thank you so much :)

1. What is protein dynamics?

Protein dynamics refers to the movements and changes in structure and function of proteins. It involves understanding how proteins interact with other molecules and how they change shape to perform their biological functions.

2. Why is it important to learn about protein dynamics?

Understanding protein dynamics is crucial in many areas of research, including drug discovery and development, understanding diseases, and designing new treatments. It can also help us understand how proteins function in everyday processes such as metabolism and immune response.

3. How long does it typically take to learn about protein dynamics?

The time it takes to learn about protein dynamics can vary depending on the individual's background knowledge and the depth of understanding they wish to achieve. However, with dedicated study, it is possible to gain a basic understanding in a few weeks.

4. What are some resources for learning about protein dynamics?

There are many resources available for learning about protein dynamics, including textbooks, online courses, scientific articles, and conferences. It is also beneficial to consult with experts in the field or join a research lab that focuses on protein dynamics.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding protein dynamics?

Knowledge of protein dynamics can be applied in many ways, such as designing new drugs that target specific proteins, developing therapies for diseases caused by protein dysfunction, and improving our understanding of how proteins work in biological processes. It can also aid in protein engineering for various biotechnological applications.