So what happens to existing continents when new supercontinent forms?

• Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Pangaea and its formation, with a focus on the role of magma and the evolution of lungfish. It also brings up the idea of a "Supercontinent cycle" where old continents are replaced by new ones, and questions what happens to the old continents in this process. The conversation concludes by stating that continental crust rarely subducts and that some crust in Canada and Australia is over 4 billion years old, suggesting they formed shortly after the moon's formation.
swampwiz
I had always known about Pangaea, but that always begged the question of what was before; since there didn't seem to be anything before, I just presumed that the crust was monolithic (i.e., as a general adjective, not "one rock", even though that it was it is, LOL), and under the sea, and a gigantic volcano just spit out all the magma (which I presume is simply the mantle that gets spit out) that cooled into Pangaea. And indeed, this fit with the evolution of lungfish (like Tiktaalik?) 400 Mya.

But this Wikipedia article is "Supercontinent cycle" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercontinent_cycle - so obviously this happens with some regularity (i.e., according to one theory), and thus this begs the question of what happens to the old continents. Do they just sink into the seabed? I suppose some of the magma for the new supercontinent gets spit up on top of some of the old continents. This also begs the question that if magma is being spit up, somehow that volume of the mantle has to contract, which perhaps means that the old continents and seabed falls relative to the geocenter? I suppose that this also means that the total crust grows with each new supercontinent adding to the crust.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The continents mostly just get rearranged to form a supercontinent. Continental crust is lighter than oceanic crust and rarely subducts. Some of the crust in Canada and austrlia is older than 4 billion years, ad must have formed right after the formation of the moon.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, diogenesNY, Klystron and 3 others

1. What is a supercontinent?

A supercontinent is a large landmass that consists of multiple continents fused together. The most well-known example of a supercontinent is Pangaea, which existed around 335 million years ago.

2. How are supercontinents formed?

Supercontinents are formed through a process called continental drift, where tectonic plates on Earth's surface move and collide with each other. This movement causes continents to merge together and form a larger landmass.

3. What happens to existing continents when a new supercontinent forms?

Existing continents will either collide and merge together, or they may break apart and form smaller continents within the new supercontinent. The exact changes that occur depend on the specific movements of the tectonic plates.

4. How long does it take for a supercontinent to form?

The process of supercontinent formation can take millions of years. Pangaea, for example, took around 50-60 million years to fully form. However, the exact timeline can vary depending on the speed of tectonic plate movement.

5. What are the effects of supercontinent formation on Earth's climate and environment?

Supercontinent formation can have significant impacts on Earth's climate and environment. The merging of landmasses can alter ocean currents and wind patterns, leading to changes in temperature and precipitation. It can also affect the distribution of plants and animals, as well as the formation of new mountain ranges.