So …Who are some influential women in the field of physics?

The article on mental_floss highlights four notable women physicists - Meitner, Wu, Goeppert-Mayer, and Brooks - who have made significant contributions to the field. However, this list is still not comprehensive as there are many other women who have also made important contributions, such as Noether and Bell Burnell. This emphasizes the gender gap in physics and the need for more recognition of women in the field. In summary, the article sheds light on the limited representation of women in physics and highlights the notable achievements of four women physicists.
SchatzeDefect
Found this article on mental_floss, http://digg.com/general_sciences/4_Women_Who_Rocked_Physics" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm … it says the four are Meitner, Wu, Goeppert-Mayer, and Brooks …

I'd only ever heard of Meitner. :redface:

(I'd have included Noether, and Bell Burnell)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Women_physicists" has a list of 47 women physicists)

*Refraining myself from saying a bad sexist joke*

I think if they ONLY can find four women who've made a notable difference in physics, it is obviously not enough.

The article proves that the gender gap in physics is still very large.

tiny-tim said:
hmm … it says the four are Meitner, Wu, Goeppert-Mayer, and Brooks …

I'd only ever heard of Meitner. :redface:

(I'd have included Noether, and Bell Burnell)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Women_physicists" has a list of 47 women physicists)

It's a bit sad when the Wikipedia article on women physicists has only 47 entries.

Related to So …Who are some influential women in the field of physics?

1. What is "4 Women Who Rocked Physics" about?

"4 Women Who Rocked Physics" is a book that highlights the contributions and achievements of four influential women in the field of physics: Marie Curie, Lise Meitner, Rosalind Franklin, and Chien-Shiung Wu.

2. Why is it important to recognize these women in physics?

It is important to recognize these women in physics because historically, women have been underrepresented and often overlooked in the field of physics. By highlighting the accomplishments of these women, we can inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM and bring diversity to the field.

3. Who are some other notable women in physics?

Some other notable women in physics include Ada Yonath, who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for her work on the structure of ribosomes, and Vera Rubin, who provided evidence for the existence of dark matter in the universe.

4. How did these women overcome challenges and discrimination in the field of physics?

These women overcame challenges and discrimination by persevering in the face of adversity and breaking down barriers. For example, Marie Curie faced resistance from male scientists and was denied membership to the French Academy of Sciences because of her gender. Lise Meitner, a Jewish woman, was forced to flee Nazi Germany in order to continue her research.

5. What impact have these women had on the field of physics?

These women have made significant contributions to the field of physics, including groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in their respective areas of research. For example, Marie Curie's work on radioactivity revolutionized our understanding of atomic structure, while Rosalind Franklin's research on the structure of DNA paved the way for breakthroughs in genetics and molecular biology. Additionally, these women have inspired generations of scientists and continue to be role models for future physicists.