Soap film analogy and sand heap analogy

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for comprehensive online resources on the soap film analogy and sand heap analogy, including their concepts, procedures, and animations. The conversation also mentions the importance of discussing reinforced concrete members. The conversation concludes with a recommendation for a Google Books resource that provides in-depth information on the topic.
median27
Guys, do you know any comprehensive website or reference that explains everything about soap film analogy and sand heap analogy? Including their concepts, procedure on how to perform them and some animations. It will be more useful if the discussion also deals with the reinforced concrete members. I've been looking on the internet, but it seems like there's no really good online materials available. I'm thinking that I'm just typing the wrong key words. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot! It's the perfect material that I need. :D

1. What is the soap film analogy?

The soap film analogy is a concept used in physics to explain the behavior of soap films. It states that soap films tend to minimize their surface area, resulting in a shape that is composed of minimal surfaces.

2. How does the soap film analogy relate to physics?

The soap film analogy is often used in physics to illustrate the principles of surface tension and minimal surfaces. It can also be used to explain other concepts, such as the behavior of soap bubbles and certain properties of fluids.

3. What is the sand heap analogy?

The sand heap analogy is a concept used in mathematics and computer science to illustrate the idea of self-organizing criticality. It states that a sand heap will naturally form into a specific shape, regardless of the size or shape of the container it is in.

4. What is self-organizing criticality?

Self-organizing criticality is a theory that describes how complex systems tend to evolve towards a critical state, where small changes can have a large impact. In the sand heap analogy, this critical state is represented by a specific shape of the sand heap.

5. How are the soap film analogy and sand heap analogy related?

Both the soap film analogy and sand heap analogy are examples of self-organizing systems. They illustrate how simple rules can lead to complex, organized structures. The principles behind these analogies can be applied to various fields, such as physics, mathematics, and computer science.