Social Media content creation glitches

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Is see this frequently on Facebook (which is the only social media I frequent).

1702180686719.png

To be clear, what we are seeing here is a Facebook post, but it is a post that is a graphical image - a capture of a block of text (which could have just as easily been just textual content).

Nothing untoward so far...

But there is an additional element here: the graphical image has been corrupted - a few words have been obfuscated.

It happens far too often to be anomalous. It has to be deliberate.

My best theory is that it is an attempt to foil some sort of OCR* content scraper that presumably just grabs content automatically and reposts it as if it's their own.

*optical character recognition

I guess that makes sense, I just didn't know such bots existed. Although, now that I think about it, they would be inevitable.

Any corroborating or alternative ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
My best theory is that it is an attempt to foil some sort of OCR* content scraper that presumably just grabs content automatically and reposts it as if it's their own.
That could be repaired automatically by a spell checker or AI.

The damage appears optical, as if a black/white threshold had been set incorrect during the OCR, or a printer was short of toner or ink.

Why does social media text need to make sense, or be readable without misinterpretation?
Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

The text looks like one of the genre of "I'm the only sane man in a world of militant strawman feminists / liberals / racists / jobsworths / other / [delete as applicable]" allegedly true stories that are almost certainly actually "inspired by real events" in the same sense as Hollywood biopics. So I wonder if the text is already stolen from Reddit or somewhere and the errors are weak attempt to prevent OCR-based checks for copyright violation.

Ibix said:
The text looks like one of the genre of "I'm the only sane man in a world of militant strawman feminists / liberals / racists / jobsworths / other / [delete as applicable]" allegedly true stories that are almost certainly actually "inspired by real events" in the same sense as Hollywood biopics.
Frankly, I didn't even bother reading the text. Couldn't tell you what the article is about.

Skipping right to the end, you can see it's only a partial story, offered as click bait. I'm so jaded to this kind of clickbait on FB that I just automatically scroll past it - with a flicker of irritation crossing my brow as I do so.

Ibix said:
... I wonder if the text is already stolen from Reddit or somewhere and the errors are weak attempt to prevent OCR-based checks for copyright violation.
That's a new angle. I hadn't thought of that.

Baluncore said:
The damage appears optical, as if a black/white threshold had been set incorrect during the OCR, or a printer was short of toner or ink.
I really don't think so.

Again, this happens so often - and so consistent in the effect - that it cannot be an accident.

What causes glitches in social media content creation?

Glitches in social media content creation can be caused by a variety of factors including software bugs, network issues, outdated apps, incompatible file formats, or errors during the uploading process. Ensuring that all software is up-to-date and that the content is in a supported format can help minimize these issues.

How can I fix a video that won't upload properly to a social media platform?

To fix a video that won't upload properly, first ensure the video file format is supported by the social media platform. Also, check your internet connection and try compressing the video file if it exceeds the platform's maximum file size limit. If problems persist, try restarting the app or your device, or consider re-exporting the video file from your editing software.

Why do images sometimes appear pixelated or distorted on social media?

Images may appear pixelated or distorted on social media due to compression algorithms used by the platforms to save bandwidth. To minimize quality loss, use the recommended resolution and aspect ratio for each platform and consider saving images in high-quality formats such as PNG when possible.

What should I do if my content is not appearing in my followers' feeds?

If your content is not appearing in your followers' feeds, first check if there are any restrictions on your account or if the content violates any platform guidelines. Additionally, engaging with your audience through comments, likes, and shares can increase the visibility of your posts. Consider also posting at peak times when your audience is most active.

How can I prevent formatting issues when posting text-based content on different social media platforms?

To prevent formatting issues with text-based content, familiarize yourself with the text formatting tools and limitations of each platform. Use simple formatting and avoid special characters that may not be supported. Previewing your post before publishing can also help catch any issues that can be corrected in advance.