Software for finding a best-fit ellipse ()?

In summary, the conversation is about calibrating a magnetometer sensor and finding a software that can calculate a best-fit ellipse from the data. The speaker suggests using dedicated libraries or a Matlab function called "fit_ellipse". They also mention that it may be difficult to find a ready-to-use Windows executable for this task and recommend learning and using a math program like Matlab, Mathematica, or GNU Octave.
jesusu2
Hello all, I'm calibrating a magnetometer sensor. An uncalibrated sensor will output values that will graph an ellipse. A calibrated sensor will output values that will graph a circle. Since there's data points all over the place, I'd like to find a piece of software that will take my data and give me a best-fit ellipse, with its equation, and with this I'll be able to calculate the eccentricity and see whether my calibrations actually worked.
I'm not versed in coding whatsoever, so I would prefer if there was some sort of .exe program I could use that would automatically calculate based off my values.
I've attached an picture of the type of data I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 749
Physics news on Phys.org
This would normally be done with a math package and hand-writing the code.
http://www.emis.de/journals/BBMS/Bulletin/sup962/gander.pdf

There are dedicated libraries for this it seems - for the googling. i.e.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/692787/Best-fitting-line-circle-and-ellipse
... but you are not so much of a programmer... hmmm...

For ready-to-use I'd suggest the Matlab function "fit_ellipse"
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/3215-fit-ellipse
... you can also get MATLAB to calculate the eccentricity and just output that.

I would not expect to find a purpose built windows executable for your purpose - I think I saw a geology program "ellipsefit" a while ago tho - it is the kind of functionality that gets built into math programs and you are encouraged to learn to use at least one of Matlab, Mathematica, GNU Octave. I know that seems like overkjill for just this one task but it pays off in the long run.

1. What is a best-fit ellipse?

A best-fit ellipse is an ellipse that closely matches a set of data points. It is used to represent the general trend or pattern of the data, and is often used in statistical analysis and data visualization.

2. How is a best-fit ellipse calculated?

A best-fit ellipse is calculated using a mathematical process known as regression analysis. This involves finding the ellipse that minimizes the distance between the data points and the ellipse itself.

3. What is the purpose of using a best-fit ellipse in data analysis?

The purpose of using a best-fit ellipse is to simplify complex data and provide a visual representation of the data's trend or pattern. It can also be used to make predictions and identify any outliers or anomalies in the data.

4. What are the limitations of using a best-fit ellipse in data analysis?

While a best-fit ellipse can provide a useful summary of data, it may not accurately represent all the data points. It is also sensitive to outliers and can be influenced by the choice of data points used in the calculation.

5. Are there any software programs available for finding a best-fit ellipse?

Yes, there are many software programs available for finding a best-fit ellipse, such as MATLAB, R, and Python. These programs use various algorithms and techniques to calculate and visualize the best-fit ellipse for a given set of data.