Software for making Physics charts and chemistry charts?

In summary: It can also be used for creating beautiful scientific illustrations.In summary, using LaTeX to create a complex chart like the one shown would be a more efficient and time-saving option than using Microsoft paint.
christian0710
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi christian0710,

personally I actually use Photoshop for such things, but you could have a look at some vector graphics editors (a comparison is here), personally I have used e.g. CorelDRAW and/or Inkscape. Inkscape is free and available here. I don't do much graphics nowadays, so somebody else may have other better suggestions, perhaps, I don't know.

I believe it is also possible to make them in LaTeX, but I'm not sure how practical that is.

wukunlin said:
I believe it is also possible to make them in LaTeX, but I'm not sure how practical that is.
I don't think you can make this using latex
SubwayDiagram.gif

adjacent said:
I don't think you can make this using latex

You could do it with the pstricks package, or (probably better) use Asymptote to generate the graphics plus all the capabilities of LaTeX for the typesetting.
http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/

There are LaTeX packages to draw the chemistry diagrams in the other two examples, but I'm not a chemist. http://latex-community.org/know-how/434-chemistry-molecules

AlephZero said:
You could do it with the pstricks package, or (probably better) use Asymptote to generate the graphics plus all the capabilities of LaTeX for the typesetting.
http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/

I would rather do it using Microsoft paint. Doing that with latex will take too much time.

adjacent said:
I would rather do it using Microsoft paint. Doing that with latex will take too much time.

The problem with doing something like this in MS paint is that "what you see is all you get". If you need to change the format, or make it fit on a different shape of paper, you probably have to start again.

On the other hand with LaTeX you are not drawing the picture, you are writing a set of instructions to draw the picture. Most of that diagram is repetitions of a box with text inside and more text surrounding it. Define how to draw that pattern once, and you don't have to do much more than type in all the text.

It's easy to make the lines join the correct boxes, and automatically stop neatly at the edge of the circles etc, even if you change the layout. OK, you will have to route some the more wiggly lines between the text yourself, but you don't have to do that "carefully" with a mouse, just define a few points and let the software draw nice looking curves..

LaTeX is a lot more powerful than just "something for writing math equations".

Last edited:

What is software for making physics charts and chemistry charts?

Software for making physics charts and chemistry charts is a type of computer program that allows users to create visual representations of data and concepts related to physics and chemistry. It typically includes tools for creating graphs, diagrams, and other visual aids that can be used to illustrate scientific principles and relationships.

What are the benefits of using software for making physics charts and chemistry charts?

There are several benefits to using software for making physics charts and chemistry charts. Firstly, it allows for more precise and accurate representations of data compared to hand-drawn charts. It also offers a wide variety of customizable templates and tools that can save time and effort. Additionally, digital charts can be easily edited and updated as needed, making them more versatile for different purposes.

What are some popular software options for making physics charts and chemistry charts?

Some popular software options for making physics charts and chemistry charts include Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, Origin, and Tableau. These programs offer a range of features and capabilities, from simple graphing tools to advanced data analysis and visualization.

Do I need to have a strong background in physics and chemistry to use this type of software?

While having a basic understanding of physics and chemistry can be helpful in using this type of software, most programs have user-friendly interfaces and provide tutorials to guide users through the chart-making process. Some software also offers pre-made templates and formulas for commonly used charts, making it easier for beginners to get started.

Can I use software for making physics charts and chemistry charts for other subjects or disciplines?

Yes, many of these software programs can be used for creating charts and graphs for various subjects and disciplines, such as biology, economics, and engineering. As long as the data can be represented visually, these programs can be useful tools for creating informative and professional-looking charts.